The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I check error messages?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frychiko, Oct 10, 2007.

1. frychiko

frychiko Member

My 256mb RAM VPS cannot handle the stress of my wordpress blog with daily traffic of around 3000 uniques a day (is this normal?)

My site becomes inaccessible and/or incredibly slow. It seems like I've run out of memory.
    I've disabled almost all plugins on my site, to see if they may be the cause. I'll give it a day and see if it crashes tomorrow.
    I've read many threads here saying "check your /var/log/ messages", so I've gone into my /var/log/ directory and now what file do I check? How to check it?

Should I just upgrade to 512mb RAM, or is there something definitely awry here?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

256MB of RAM is NOT AT ALL sufficient on a VPS where cPanel is installed and a website having 3000 unique visitors a day. cPanel do require a fair bit of memory for itself which will overload the server having 256MB RAM. I would recommend ATLEAST a 512MB server though I am not still convinced it will be able to handle that amount of visitor's along with cPanel. Give a try though, 512MB is always better than 256MB. ;)

4. frychiko

frychiko Member

Thanks for the tool Infopro.

Shekhar, thanks for your opinion. I am considering an upgrade. Just optimised some options and mysql/httpd, turned off mailman, spamassasin etc. hoping with these off I can turn on my blog plugins and have decent speed.

Otherwise I may upgrade and possibly consider switching to Directadmin or such instead of cpanel.