The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i completely delete an mx record

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rschmidt, Jan 19, 2010.

1. rschmidt

rschmidt Registered

Hi,

I was wondering how to completely delete an mx record for a domain?
    I see where I can delete the DNS zone but then the MX record is still there in the MX section? Anyway to completely delete that?

Basically, I am having issues with mywebsite forms trying to deliver emails because it is looking up this MX record (which points to our webserver) but email is hosted elsewhere (as are the nameservers). This is happening for multiple domains so I just want to wipe out all the MX records since none of them are accurate.

The other option is to set the server not to try and resolve DNS internally (using these MX records) but to just go out to the internet to resolve DNS (since the primary name servers for all the domains are hosted elsewhere). Not sure where to change that setting either.

Hope some of that makes sense and any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Check in your cPanel (assuming you want to do this on one domain?) in the box titled Mail for an icon titled MX Entry. In there you should be able to edit as you wish.

3. rschmidt

rschmidt Registered

actually, i am resolving an issue for a client that has 600+ domains -- and I need to do this for all domains.
    basically just need to turn off the DNS services on this server through the cPanel, but need to make 100% sure it does not actually delete all the zone files when I do that.