Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How Do I Download Backups?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShelaghG, Feb 10, 2003.

1. ShelaghG

ShelaghG Active Member

Our server is merrily backing up user accounts every night but there seems to be no way for me to get them off the server. I want to download them every morning and save them on my hard drive. I can't log in via ftp as root, but as the file permissions are 700 I can't touch them unless I am root. Presumably I need to change root's ftp permissions?

2. SprintSlash

SprintSlash Well-Known Member

It's generally bad to FTP using root account. You should just create an FTP account that points to your backup directory.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ShelaghG

ShelaghG Active Member

How? Everything in the backup directory has rwx permissions for the root user only and it doesn't seem possible to change this (I've tried)

4. FijianTribe

FijianTribe Well-Known Member

Try making the directory accessible to a usergroup, and add yourself to the user group. Then you should have permissions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ShelaghG

ShelaghG Active Member

The directory's permissions are :
    drwxr----- 5 root root 4096 Feb 5 07:11 cpbackup

I have created another user and made them a member of the root group, the directory that cpbackup is in is it's home directory. However I can't login via ftp, presumably because the user is a member of the same group as root!

6. SprintSlash

SprintSlash Well-Known Member

I guess you have to allow root access on your FTP.

Assuming that you're using ProFTPd, put this next line in /etc/proftpd.conf:

RootLogin on

For more details, go to http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/localsite/Userguide/linked/config_ref_RootLogin.html

7. ShelaghG

ShelaghG Active Member

That doesn't work either. The login still comes back as invalid. ProFTPd seems to be using /etc/proftpd/passwd.vhosts to validate users and root isn't in there. Neither is the backup user I created yesterday (using useradd). Maybe if I could figure out how to add my backup user to the authentication file that ProFTPd is using I could download the backups with that user instead of root :) The ftp documentation isn't much help.

8. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Have you figured this out yet?

I'm interested in a solution to this 'problem' as well.

If you can't get it to work with proftpd, you could change ownership of the backups to a regular user before you download the files, and afterwards you change ownership back to root?

9. ShelaghG

ShelaghG Active Member

I have several personal web sites hosted on the server but if I log in using any of those usernames then I am restricted to their home directory. Still trying to figure something out.

10. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Use a program like SecureFX from VanDyke software. It allows secure ftp and root can login through it because it uses ssh.

11. ShelaghG

ShelaghG Active Member

dgbaker is the winner for correctly solving today's problem :) I found a free secure ftp client at http://winscp.vse.cz/eng/about.php Also when searching on Google (&secure ftp& ssh) it seems that if you have SSH and ftp clients you can set them up to do this but it seems like a lot of faffing about when there's a nice, free client to download and simplify everything :)

Thank you to everyone for all their input, it's much appreciated.