The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I enter multiple strings when creating a filter rule

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by delboy007, Jul 30, 2014.

1. delboy007

delboy007 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    My spam situation is getting out of control so I want to block spam before it is downloaded. I have been to Account level filtering and created a rule to block emails with xyz in the subject which works but it seems I have to create a rule for every string which would take forever. How can I process multiple strings with one rule like in Outlook rules?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Have you considered using SpamAssassin instead? Check to see if it's available via cPanel, and if not, contact your web hosting provider to see if they can enable it for you. It's likely more effective than multiple account level filtering rules.

Thank you.

3. delboy007

delboy007 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I thought the filter was part of spam assasin. I did look at spam assasin and as far as I can see all you can do is load lists of email addresses which is completely useless as nearly all the spam I receive is from bogus addresses. It seems to me the only effective filtering is text from the subject or header

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    SpamAssassin should filter out SPAM based on several factors, including content. You may need to consult with your web hosting provider to let them know that SPAM is making it through so they can possibly enable additional prevention options from the root level.

Thank you.

5. delboy007

delboy007 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    As far as I can see all SpamAssassin does is tag suspected spam with ***spam*** based on their search strings. It still sends it to me so I still waste time sorting it out. I know I can choose to have suspected spam deleted but they frequently mark genuine emails as spam.

I want to be able to delete spam permanently from the server using my own search strings to make sure genuine emails are not deleted.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  7. delboy007

delboy007 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    As I said in my first post, if I do that as far as I can see I have to create a separate rule for every single text string instead of just having them in a list or comma separated. That would take forever.

I really don't understand why filtering in general seems to be based on the email address of the sender when they are nearly always spoofed. Even when they are genuine the sender will just use one of his other thousand email addresses to send the same spam. It seem to me the only effective way is to filter by string like outlook rules do only to have it done at the mail server so it doesn't have to be downloaded.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you provide an example of a rule (regex or otherwise) you would prefer to use that is not possible? For instance, is each string entirely different or is there a specific pattern you are attempting to block?

Thank you.

9. delboy007

delboy007 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I simply want the same solultion as an outlook rule. There I can say

if header contains: (any of these strings)

Pharmacy
    Save Money
    P*nis
    your funds now

Then delete them

In outlook I just type a string and click and it adds it to the list. With Smamassasin I have to create a rule for every single string.

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please don't use SpamAssassin for these type of rules. Instead, use the "Account Level Filtering" option in cPanel. This is a separate section compared to where you configure SpamAssassin.

Thank you.

11. delboy007

delboy007 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    that's what I am talking about. It is in account level filtering where I would have to create a separate rule for every string which would take all day.

12. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your options are limited without root access to the server. Have you tried reporting this issue to your web hosting provider? There are several options that can be enabled with root access to help prevent incoming SPAM. It's really better addressed by your hosting provider with the amount of SPAM you are referencing.

Thank you.