The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i file a complaint with the owners of the whois database?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AbeFroman, Feb 11, 2004.

1. AbeFroman

AbeFroman BANNED

How do i file a complaint with the owners of the whois database?

I get dozens of letters every month from Domain Registry of America (www.droa.com) I called to be removed but they still send them. They are obviously getting my address from the whois record as these are domains I register for clients. Even Serg, an employee of droa.com confirmed they got my address from the whois record. How can I file a complaint?

Has anyone else got such a letter? I think we should all write. They are illegally quering the whois database and taking business away from all of us.

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

3. AbeFroman

AbeFroman BANNED

what link?

4. casey

casey Well-Known Member

5. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

Abe,
    The company in question is already being investigated by the FTC and I highly suggest sending a complaint to the FTC about this issue and sending a copy to the company.
    As an additional step you could get a restraining order against them for harrasing your company.

6. AbeFroman

AbeFroman BANNED

Ok, it looks like they have had problems with the FTC already, but why are the still sending the letters?
    http://search.ftc.gov/query.html?qt=droa&col=hsr&col=news&col=full

Also, I find it pretty funny that they are the self appointed Domain Register of America when they are located in Canada.

I encourage everyone here to send a complaint to the FTC if you got and unwanted DROA letter to you address that they illegally harvested from the whois database.

Why should they be getting free leads from the whois database?

7. Joshfrom

Joshfrom Well-Known Member

We get one from some similar company every few months that looks like a renewal invoice but if you read the fine print it says "this is not a bill ... payment represents acceptance of our terms of service"

They are some domain registrar as well. It usually finds it way to the shredder after about 30 seconds.

8. AbeFroman

AbeFroman BANNED

Josh, I need you to save those letters and email abuse@ftc.gov with the name of that company.

9. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

Let's just face it - the whole registrar business is somehow dirty. The company you mentioned keeps on doing this for years, others send letters that look like invoices just in the hopes you fill it out and return it. And some companies even send you notifications from other domain names so you do not know who they are (godaddy) and months after you already transfered the domain away.
    The others like network solutions keep an extra non-published email record for the customer and will upon a transfer request only notify the customer on this email address which is often no longer valid in the hopes there is no response and the transfer times out and fails.
    I have actually spoken several times on this subject with a good friend of mine who happens to be a lead editor at cnet/zdnet ;-)
    I have a feeling there will be a bigger story on this some time......
    But what needs to happen is that people complain to the FTC instead of just ignoring this because otherwise nothing changes. And if nothing changes then we all as hosting companies feel the negative effect of it as being seen as a not trustworthy industry. It is our job to clean it up and bring out the black sheeps!