The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I find out why FTP is working so poorly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by schwim, Sep 17, 2007.

1. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Hi there everyone,

For the last week, our ftp(Pure-FTPd) has been getting progressively worse. It started out with the odd dropped connection, and now it's to the point that it does the following:

We connect to any account on the server. Upload any file. It will run through up to the first 100k (sometimes more, sometimes less) with no problem, then the speed will begin to drop until it stops, then it will disconnect us from the server, the FTP app will then reconnect and do another 100k and the process will repeat itself until either the file is uploaded or we are tired of waiting.

We tried a different computer using a different application on a different connection. The only thing that wasn't different was the results. I can connect to other servers and upload without issue.

/var/log/messages shows the following:

Note that it states that no data had been sent for 900 seconds, but look at the log time. I hadn't even been logged in for a minute much less 15!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as it's driving us batty!

thanks,
    json

#1 schwim, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. Crazor

Crazor BANNED

It plainly says no new data for 900 seconds, try lifting it higher as applications take more than 900 seconds to upload (Big onse anyway)

3. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

It also plainly states that 900 seconds did not pass:

If you're good at math, you'll note that just over a minute elapsed, not 15(900 seconds).

thanks,
    json

4. panayot

panayot Well-Known Member

We have similar problems on all servers. Some of our customers get timeouts while uploading. I remember reading that filtering ICMP traffic with a firewall could cause this.

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Change the log level from INFO to DEBUG and see if any extra information is forthcoming.

#5 cPanelKenneth, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  6. LucasVanzin

LucasVanzin Well-Known Member

pure-ftpd

I'm having exactly the same problem, There is no information about that on debug logs.

7. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

i have seen this before over the years. I never really nailed it down except for when certian network issues like packetloss were hapening. HugesNET / DirecTway sattellite internet has always been IPs that I see in my logs that show this problem. They are know for oversold latent connections. If you notice it's one particular provider / ISP that the IPs resolve to ..this may be the issue. Also see if other people at your data center are having similiar issues and remember that trace routes can choose different paths for incoming and outgoing data. Verify that network problems aren't causing this.

8. Danny_T

Danny_T Well-Known Member

It happens overhere also with localhost so no network problems (or lo is bad).
    I did not paid attention too for a year. Some of the customers indeed complains but as i cant find an issue and even build pureftp from scratch it is still having this problem.

I guess pure-ftpd is buggy somewhere.

9. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I know this thread is a couple of months old but I'd like to add my experience of this problem. I'm posting this today because the issue is happening for one of our customers and I came back here to see if anyone has found a solution yet.

I've seen this many times on lots of servers at different locations. It pops up every now and then. The customer complains that they upload a few files and the FTP connection is lost. They try again - same problem and this continues.

I've dismissed general latency issues - there are no problems on the network and there is plenty of bandwidth available. Server load is fine, at the time the customer is connecting, hes the only one connected to FTP.

The only thing I've come across recently is that over the past few days - weve had a fairly sustained brute force attack on FTP which was dealt with by CSF. I mentioned this to the customer and asked him to try again but he's still having the same problem.

Checking the logs shows the same problem as explained earlier...

[INFO] Timeout (no new data for 900 seconds)

Which happens continually - between 48 and 58 seconds after the last file was uploaded. Customer logs back in and trys again - rinse and repeat.

Why this problem comes and goes is a complete mystery but I can only conclude as Danny_T did - it looks to be a bug in pure-ftp

10. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might find that if you poked the user for more details, he's trying to upload an entire directory of files. If he had zipped it up, uploaded as one file to some area outside public_html (into a work folder) and unpacked via File Manager he wouldn't have a problem.

my 2

11. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Thanks for your input. In this particular case, the customer was uploading only a small handful of images and getting the 900s timeout issue only a few seconds after the first couple of images were uploaded. I'm sure if he tried to upload a folder, he'd experience the same issue. I can confirm the problem is not specific to the upload of folders. Nevertheless, if it was - it would still be a problem.

12. panayot

panayot Well-Known Member

It is possible that this is caused by firewalls (on server and on client computer). pure-ftpd requires some icmp ports open to work properly. Have the customer try to upload with his firewall off. And perhaps with server firewall off just for a short test.

We are having such issues on all servers. Especially on 64 bit servers pure-ftpd hangs couple of times a day and chkservd restarts it. We are now testing proftpd which seems to give no errors so far on a non busy server. The test on a busy server showed only one restart of proftpd during 3 days, so this is much better so far.

13. MaraBlue

MaraBlue Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've had the same issues personally. For a while I thought it was my FTP client, so I've tried everyone known to man or woman. I've had better luck with those that restrict the number of connections, and also with adjusting PureFTP's settings to allow 15 simultaneous connections from each IP, but still there are problems that shouldn't be.

And this is *me*, not a user. I think you're correct in that it could be a bug in PureFTP.

14. MaraBlue

MaraBlue Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Interesting, since from the cPanel info they include on the FTP Configuration page, they really push/suggest pure-FTP or proftpd. I'd be interested in hearing back how the testing goes...you may be onto something :)

#14 MaraBlue, Feb 18, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008