The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I fix broken or ghost or damaged mail folders?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by zackw, Dec 26, 2012.

1. zackw

zackw Active Member

Sep 30, 2010
    I'm not sure what the problem is exactly so I don't know what to call it.

I use Thunderbird and in the Trash bin of an account there are two folders. I can empty the trash but the folders stay in there. If I click on either of the folders, Thunderbird pops up a message:

"The current operation on 'Accounts' did not succeed. The mail server for account myemail@email responded: Mailbox does not exist, or must be subscribed to."

The name 'Accounts' is one of the empty folders in Trash that shouldn't be there.

I've closed and reopened and checked subscription settings, ran the "Repair Folder" function in Tbird, and that didn't work.

I logged in to webmail but none of the clients could fix either. In Squirrel Mail the broken subfolders of Trash simply didn't show up, in Roundcube, I also got an error that the folder was bad.

I logged in to WHM but didn't see any functions that would help repair specific folders in specific accounts.

This is not the first time I've had strange folders screwing up, I'd like to know how to fix it. Should I just restart the Exim service? Or delete a file on the server?

Thanks for any help. If anybody knows, I'd also like to know why something like this happens, just in case there is anything I can do to prevent it in the future.