How do I get DNS sync to work automatically?

cyon

PartnerNOC
Jan 15, 2003
is something going on here?

the problem is still not fixed.. :confused:

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

B12Org

Jul 15, 2003
Seattle Washington
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Just set the cron job to go every hour, or half hour or something, that should be fine. An "automatic" sync really does not exist as far as I know.

cyon

PartnerNOC
Jan 15, 2003
Originally posted by Stefaans
I have two servers, the one acting as slave DNS server for the other. I have the trust relationship set up and DNS has been synchronizinging perfectly until last week.

At the moment the DNS does not synchronize automatically any more. I can do a /scripts/dnstransfer and "Synchronize DNS Records with Primary Nameserver" in WHM just fine. Only problem is that the auto updates do not work. It's not like its doing it hours later (zone refresh time), it's simply never doing it by itself.
that looks as an autmatic sync existed.. it's just broken..
no updates how to fix this?
or had this "auto sync" realy never existed?

Stefaans

Mar 5, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
I believe the autosync did work initially. But you're right, I may have thought it did at the time while it was not the case ;)

Right now, zones seem to sync when they reach their retry time (or is it my cron job for /scripts/dnsupdate), but new zones for example, are not synced instantaneously.

It is very easy for us to shout "it is not working". Fact is that it is too easy working around the problem (/scripts/dnsupdate) without getting the exact facts. I plan to do a few test to see what exactly what works and what not.

Elikster

Feb 8, 2003
DNS Sync

Greetings,

I noticed this same behavior as well. It just won't do rndc reload after adding the new zones or updating it in the scripts. Just a note, it does update the zones, but it just don't update it. Not sure if it is due the timing of the scripts itself or not, but I am looking into adding wait time so it can execute it after the perl script done adding the new zone into the system.

Just a note, the remote DNS servers I run are basically just barebone systems with just hardened secured DNS servers, with no cpanels or such. I just simply copied over the scipts over and put it in /scripts so it can access it and update it. It works fine for a while, but seems for past week, it stopped working. Kinda of very annoying to have this happen.

Stenny Chong

Jun 12, 2002
echo "5,15,25,35,45,55 * * * * rm -f /var/named/*.db;/scripts/dnstransfer;service named restart >> /dev/null 2>&1" >> /var/spool/cron/root

Should help for dns sync.

I use it long time ago which found to be working. However you must ensure your primary and secondary dns server have trust-relationship setup properly.