The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get email through my iphone

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jimmy986, Nov 13, 2012.

1. jimmy986

jimmy986 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    How do I find the information for setting up my email on my iphone? Specifically, whether it is IMAP or POP and the incoming and outgoing mail server.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In your cPanel > Preferences > Email Accounts > to the right side of the email listed you want to use on your phone, click the More item to open a small menu. Click Configure Mail Client. At bottom of next page are the settings available to you.

Briefly, POP3 downloads email to your phone, or email client (like Outlook) and by default does not leave mail on server, unless you want it to. IMAP, leaves mail on server and syncs with your other devices. You can check email from home, your phone, work computer, and leaves mail on server until you delete it.

You can use either one, or even both. For example you might want to check email on the road, and leave it there on server. Then get home and open your mail client using POP3 to download all email, read or not read to your local computer.

3. jimmy986

jimmy986 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    A few questions. The incoming and outgoing server are the same as far as the host name. Is this ok? Also, for both, it asks for a username and password. The incoming has POP3 and IMAP followed by "Port" and a 3 digit number, is this the username? If so, do I need to include "IMAP ot POP3 when putting it in? What would the password be for the incoming and outgoing servers, the same as my login?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Correct.

Outgoing should show in your phone as optional. (If you select POP)

You should decide on which one you'd like to use, IMAP or POP. Secure SSL/TLS settings or Non-SSL settings. The Non-SSL settings are easier to setup I think, the Secure SSL is recommended and takes a bit more effort, as you have to accept server certificate into your phone.

Assuming you've selected to go with IMAP, Secure SSl/TLS, once you've typed in the incoming and outgoing server details, (EX: youhost.domain.com) and click next, you should get a popup about verify server identity, click details here. Top of that next window, click Accept. If you did not fill in the outgoing server details (I mention they are optional above), this will fail, accepting the cert I mean. So, you go back and fill in the outgoing login details, identical to the incoming server details. Click next, Accept again, this time it should go thru. You'll see all checkmarks showing you're good to go, click save.

One thing about the details shown there on the Manual Settings page in your cPanel, if it says "Use your cPanel Password" this message is incorrect, and being changed. You will actually be using the email address password, not the cPanel user password.

Also, the email user login name is the full email address, as shown there on that settings page. You must use the full email for the user login to email.

I think that should get you going in the right direction. Good luck!