The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I install Python?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SNK111, Sep 28, 2010.

1. SNK111

SNK111 Member

Hi
    my site is hosted by a hosting company. I have access to may account via CPanel. It is a Linux hosting.

I need to install Python and then Aspen, which is a Python webserver.

Will it possible to do so just for my account? How do I install these items from CPanel?

#1 SNK111, Sep 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. serlex

serlex Well-Known Member

Mailman, the software that cPanel/WHM uses for mailing lists, uses Python 1.5 or later. Therefore a version of Python higher than 1.5 should already be installed on your server. IIRC, I believe one of the Python 2.x versions is installed by default.

3. SNK111

SNK111 Member

How do I confirm Python is installed?

Thanks serlex for your reply.

If Python is installed as you described, how do I confirm that Python is installed?

How do I find out details of this installation?

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OS-level issue

serlex is correct that Mailman is written in Python. Also, on CentOS and Red Hat, yum is written in Python, so a working Python installation is required for yum to work.

On CentOS and Red Hat, Python is installed via RPM package by default, so you can find the version by checking the version of the RPM package:

Code:
    # rpm -q python
    python-2.4.3-27.el5
    Note that cPanel does not manipulate Python in any way. Mailman uses the version of Python that is installed by the operating system's updater (yum), but no other component of cPanel depends on Python. yum is part of the operating system, not cPanel, and yum requires Python, so it should already be installed on a CentOS or Red Hat server.

5. steve.arvixe

steve.arvixe Registered
    PartnerNOC

Python 2.4 is rather out of date. Is there a way to upgrade with cPanel?

6. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel does not update Python. The only item directly related to cPanel that uses Python is Mailman, and Mailman simply uses the version of Python that is supplied by the operating system vendor.

Python 2.4.3 is the latest version that is available through CentOS and Red Hat update channels. You can update Python if you wish, but you will need to use a third-party package to do so, and also take care to make sure that yum works after the upgrade. There is no provision in cPanel for upgrading Python.