The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I know if bandwidth is exceeded? Can't charge for overusage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pingo, Apr 28, 2003.

1. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

The NOC uses the 95 percentile and it shows nearly double as much total bandwidth usage for each month than WHM. I, for instance, have a client that has nearly used his 20GB bandwidth for april. If the 95 percentile is true and bandwidth monitoring in WHM is wrong then he may have used nearly double as much. How on earth do I charge clients for extra bandwidth without having a reliable tool for measuring it?

Thanks
    John

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

95 percentile is another way of messure, both could be correct, this mean, WHM bandwidth report could be correct and also the MRTG showing the 95 percentile, even if the traffic reported is different.

Also, you can install your own MRTG on the server to control it if you think that your host is cheating you.

3. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. WHM showed 115GB for pegasus in march while their 95 percentile showed 237. It is rather confusing with such a big difference. I don't think that they are cheating me though but I have to recalculate bandwidth usage. I have two servers in their data center. Maybe I should try installing the MRTG. Thanks for your suggestion.

John

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Anyway, take in mind that 95 percentile wont show the same amount that real usage.

I had a switch using 3.4 Mbps per month as real usage and 5.8 Mbps with 95 percentile

5. techark

techark Well-Known Member

Also remember WHM shows outgoing only, 95 percentile shows incoming and outgoing traffic. For a better comparision do http://yourdomain.com/bandwidth/ to view incoming and outgoing traffic numbers.

6. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

Thanks. I know that bandmin should be more precise but it showed. So sorry, it were actuall bandmin I referred to above. WHM showed a total usage of 94GB - probably the missing incoming bandwith usage you mention.

Total in 21.783418
    Total out 91.354691
    Total all 115.915767

for march. So that's still quite a difference. Probably the missing incoming bandwidth usage that you mention.

John

#6 pingo, Apr 29, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2003