The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I log in to cpanel separately from WHM on main account??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zackw, Dec 2, 2011.

1. zackw

zackw Active Member

This is a strange question to formulate so I didn't know quite how to search for an answer.

I log in to WHM over one port, and I can log in to different hosted accounts over another port directly to cPanel and not WHM. When I log in to every account with their user/pass, I get cPanel for that one account (this is good). But when I log in to the "default" account, the one that I originally bought my server and registered it with, if I log in to cPanel with that account, I get a drop down box that lets me switch between ALL accounts. I don't necessarily want this. I may have to appoint a person to work on this one site, I don't want them having access to all sites just because it's my default account.

Another strange thing is, the "password" that I set in WHM, my server password, is different from the account password, yet both have the SAME username. Let me see if I can explain this. When I try to log in to WHM with my username of this "default" account, I can successfully log in with TWO different passwords, the main root password, as well as the account password.
    This does NOT work when trying to log in to SSH, where the user+root pass does not work. However, the user+rootpass combo DOES work to get in WHM. It's weird.

The point is, I want to be able to log in to cPanel directly (not WHM) to this account, but NOT have access to all accounts on the server.

This entire thing, I know, has something to do with this initial or "default" account being the reseller/owner of all the other accounts. I'm just not sure how else to structure it. Should I change reseller/owner to root on all the accounts? Or create another sort of "blank" account to own the rest? Even though this account is the owner, is there a way to log in to cpanel so that it doesn't have access to all the others at the same time? What's the best strategy?

Thanks! Hope this makes sense!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    WHM > Tweak Settings > System Tab, Accounts that can access a cPanel user account: change this setting to user.

IMHO, it sounds like you've got things setup fine. Using Reseller access to WHM instead of using root user is always a good thing to do. Leave accounts owned by Reseller is also fine. Changing the setting mentioned above will prevent anyone from getting into any other accounts as I believe you want.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Of note, if you do not want a list of accounts that the reseller default account owns, you'll definitely need to change each of those accounts to be owned by root user instead of that user. Having the user as a reseller owning the other accounts is what causes those accounts to even show up in a drop down list. Even changing the access option in WHM's Tweak Settings that Infopro mentioned will not prevent showing a dropdown list of all the other accounts so long as that reseller owns those other accounts. You simply won't be able to log into those other accounts using that reseller's password when you change the Tweak Setting.

I did also want to mention that if you do not want root user to be able to access the accounts automatically via WHM or any other mechanism, you'll want to change not only WHM > Tweak Settings > Accounts that can access a cPanel user account area, but you would also want to change WHM > FTP Server Configuration section. In that area, it typically has "Allow Logins with Root Password" set to Yes. As such, you'd want to change that option to No to disallow any root password logins to cPanel accounts via FTP.

4. zackw

zackw Active Member

Thanks guys, that clears some things up.