Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How Do I Make My Website Invisible

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Ndmand, May 15, 2009.

1. Ndmand

Ndmand Member

Hi,

I launched my website early than I should have, building as I go. I want to make it inaccessible on the web until a later date. How can I do this without destroying everything?

Thanks,
    Ndmand

2. joker2040

joker2040 Member

Several different ways.

1. Rename the original index file to something else then put a place holder index file in it's place.

2. Deny access via .htaccess

3. Redirect yourdomain.com to something else ie google or yourdomain.com/somedirectory

4. Simply remove the files you have uploaded so far.

The list continues....

3. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

You can also do this with dns, if you have access to change it.

Point your normal dns entries to another IP address, then create a new A record, something like backdoor.yourdomain.com. , and point it to the correct IP address. Now, only the ones who know the new setup will be able to access your site. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nilesh_kolte

nilesh_kolte Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Rename you main index file and upload the Tmp index file.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Ndmand

Ndmand Member

Thanks, Got It Done

Thanks Everyone,

I wish I had checked back here before I did what I did, but I think it worked. Thanks for your help, I will keep the file. Your suggestions would have save me much time.

First I backed up the website and probably prayed a bit. In addition to backing up by using the the Backup button, I physically copied each page locally, including the graphics, text and html language.

Second, I entered the Cpanel home and then went to file manager. I still don't understand the file structure.

Third, I went to the public_html, and then deleted the files. The scary part was that I had read that this would destroy a website. I figured that my risk was that the unpublished files were not stored in some other directory. Turns out they were, meaning that I could reproduce them.

Fourth, after deleting the files, the website would not show, which was my goal. However, I was able to go to the Restore button to restore a draft of the website and publish it. I will keep working on my website without publishing it live.

:rolleyes:I am still trying to understand the file structure, so if you have any leads let me know.

Ndmand

6. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

When you click on file manager you will see basically below folders:

etc:- contains files like shadow, quotas, password of your mails and cpanel user account.
    tmp:- contains temporary files of your domain like awstats, analog statistics.
    mail :- contains information about the email accounts set up.
    public_html :- It is a root directory. You need to upload your web contents inside this folder in order to view them globally.
    www :- it is just a link for public_html.

7. Ndmand

Ndmand Member

Hmmm, Thanks

Great, Thanks,

Now I Can Go Back and Study This Structure Again. I am assuming that the data in the public folder just ... is readable from the web so that public just means "viewable."

Ndmand

8. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

You are welcome!

Yes, it's a root directory means whatever you upload there will be viewable globally via www.

9. isiservices

isiservices Registered

Thank you everybody for your good comments. I will implements this.

Thanks.
    Al Kamal Md. Razib

10. Melvin Kum

Melvin Kum Registered

I think you should remove or relocate the index.html or homepage file to some other location. In such a case your default homepage from the hosting company will be displayed.