The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Make My Website Invisible

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Ndmand, May 15, 2009.

1. Ndmand

Ndmand Member

Hi,

I launched my website early than I should have, building as I go. I want to make it inaccessible on the web until a later date. How can I do this without destroying everything?

Thanks,
    Ndmand

2. joker2040

joker2040 Member

Several different ways.

1. Rename the original index file to something else then put a place holder index file in it's place.

2. Deny access via .htaccess

3. Redirect yourdomain.com to something else ie google or yourdomain.com/somedirectory

4. Simply remove the files you have uploaded so far.

The list continues....

3. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

You can also do this with dns, if you have access to change it.

Point your normal dns entries to another IP address, then create a new A record, something like backdoor.yourdomain.com. , and point it to the correct IP address. Now, only the ones who know the new setup will be able to access your site. :)

4. nilesh_kolte

nilesh_kolte Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Rename you main index file and upload the Tmp index file.

5. Ndmand

Ndmand Member

Thanks, Got It Done

Thanks Everyone,

I wish I had checked back here before I did what I did, but I think it worked. Thanks for your help, I will keep the file. Your suggestions would have save me much time.

First I backed up the website and probably prayed a bit. In addition to backing up by using the the Backup button, I physically copied each page locally, including the graphics, text and html language.

Second, I entered the Cpanel home and then went to file manager. I still don't understand the file structure.

Third, I went to the public_html, and then deleted the files. The scary part was that I had read that this would destroy a website. I figured that my risk was that the unpublished files were not stored in some other directory. Turns out they were, meaning that I could reproduce them.

Fourth, after deleting the files, the website would not show, which was my goal. However, I was able to go to the Restore button to restore a draft of the website and publish it. I will keep working on my website without publishing it live.

:rolleyes:I am still trying to understand the file structure, so if you have any leads let me know.

Ndmand

6. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

When you click on file manager you will see basically below folders:

etc:- contains files like shadow, quotas, password of your mails and cpanel user account.
    tmp:- contains temporary files of your domain like awstats, analog statistics.
    mail :- contains information about the email accounts set up.
    public_html :- It is a root directory. You need to upload your web contents inside this folder in order to view them globally.
    www :- it is just a link for public_html.

7. Ndmand

Ndmand Member

Hmmm, Thanks

Great, Thanks,

Now I Can Go Back and Study This Structure Again. I am assuming that the data in the public folder just ... is readable from the web so that public just means "viewable."

Ndmand

8. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

You are welcome!

Yes, it's a root directory means whatever you upload there will be viewable globally via www.

9. isiservices

isiservices Registered

Thank you everybody for your good comments. I will implements this.

Thanks.
    Al Kamal Md. Razib

10. Melvin Kum

Melvin Kum Registered

I think you should remove or relocate the index.html or homepage file to some other location. In such a case your default homepage from the hosting company will be displayed.