Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How do I merge DNS zones and a few other DNS issues?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Mac Write, May 7, 2006.

1. Mac Write

Mac Write Member

I want to clean up my DNS zones and make things easier to manage. I want just site.com to appear instead of subdomain.site.com for sites that are sub domains. Instead I want to put the A record in site.com for sub domain so it's easier to find the zone file for that site and looks cleaner. Is this possible without breaking cPanel? I am running on Stable branch. If I add the zone file for a new domain first before creating the account would that work (or would it make things really bad)?

One more thing, I use ZoneEdit for a domain I point to my home network on a Dynamic IP (double the price for my connection to get a Static IP) and want to point MX to my VPS for mail. I tried adding mail.domain.com A record and MX mail.domain.com is mail for domain and it didn't work.

Another thing, how do I stop cpanel from creating mail accounts (catch all) for the sub domain when the master domain has e-mail setup?

Thanks