The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I point CPanel account to specific file folder for a domain and set up new domains?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike Santner, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Mike Santner

Mike Santner Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey guys, noob here on CPanel who inherited server admin from a prior inexperienced CPanel user, and I have a handful of sites on a GoDaddy virtual private server.

1. I have 4 domains, a CPanel account set up for 2 of them already, pointing to live directories of site files. MAINSITE.COM and NONPROFIT1.COM

2. MAINSITE.COM and NONPROFIT1.COM are set up to point to live sites and work great.

3. A 3rd live site, NONPROFIT2.COM, is set up as an "ADD-ON" Domain under MAINSITE.COM, not sure why.

4. The 4th site, WINERY.COM, that needs to go live, has an account, but it's not pointing to anything yet.

5. Better to have separate account for each domain, instead of add-ons?

6. How do I change what directory a CPanel account's domain points to? I am doing new versions of every site domain with all new files.

5. How do I set up a new account for a new domain with a new directory of files?

I sincerely appreciate any assistance navigating the menus or links that walk me through. Simple enough? :)

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    #4 Not sure what that means or if its even a question.

#5 If you're managing them all, setting them up as Addon domains makes things a bit easier for you. Login once and manage them all.

#6 Under the Addon Domains section of your cPanel, you can modify the domain doc root. The main domain used for the cPanel account, does not have this option. Not sure what you mean by new versions, assuming staging new site, it might be easier to setup a stage of the new site in a directory, instead of changing doc root.

#5b You create new accounts via WHM. Documentation on that can be found here:
    Create a New Account - cPanel Documentation

3. Mike Santner

Mike Santner Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you, infopro. I was simply trying to explain that I have 2 domains correctly set up, but I have no idea how to change where they point to in my server file structure.

What I mean by "new versions" is I'm switching one site from Wordpress to straight HTML, meaning the domain must point to an entirely new directory. The other sites are switching from their PHP, etc., to an entirely new template with HTML in an entirely new directory. (I have to keep the old ones temporarily for backup purposes, or I would just delete them).

My understanding is that creating a new account is supposed to automatically create a new folder with whatever domain or user name you create for it, in the HOME directory. However, I have not found that to be the case.

So it sounds like you're telling me to create just one account, and have all add-on domains for the rest, so I can control where they each point to in the file structure. I thought I needed a separate account for each domain?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If you have your website currently at domain.com, and you're moving to an html site, you could create the new site at domain.com/stage/ for example. When the new site is completed, move/remove the current site out from /public_html/ and then move the new site from /stage/ to /public_html/

You'll need to expand on that comment a bit, as that is the intended behavior.

It was a suggestion/reply to your post, item #5.