The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I prevent reseller access to WHM?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goodmove, Jun 18, 2004.

1. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

Hi,

Here's a newbie question: :D

I have a few web designer clients who are not interested in setting up accounts or manage quotas and so on. I like the idea of giving them reseller status just so they can switch to any of their customers' control panel in 1 click with the new feature in the Edge release.

Is it possible to prevent resellers access WHM?

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

What about just giving them a very restricted reseller WHM and don't even tell them about WHM since they won't be using it anyway.

3. goodmove

You see, I want to do away with setting up reseller privileges and so on as they won't be needed. I just want to put their customers under their account just so they can use the new Cpanel switch feature.

Some of them may know how to access WHM.

4. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

I am doing this for the same reasons.

Create a dummy userid that does not map to any domain (abc.def fo example) and do not tell them the userid.

Make that userid a reseller in whm. ROOT should on the reseller's account, not the reseller himself (so he can't see his own userid anywhere).

Have him log in to cpanel at any of their users' sites, but using the password for the reseller account that you created.

This will give him the switch ability, without any way to get to whm since he has no valid userid.

The only drawback I have seen so far is no easy way for him to put up skeleton files for new accounts, since he needs the user name for that.

Bill

5. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How are you able to create an account with out the domain name? Mine wont let me do that

6. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

You have to put something, but it doesn't have to be a "real" domain. I usually use something like somerelevantname.local.

7. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, thats what I thought too, I was just wondering about the no domain thing. Thanks for clarifing.

8. goodmove

I followed all the steps in your post to the letter but I can't see the reseller accounts in the Manage Another Account droplist when I login to cpanel.

9. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

You should not be able to see the reseller's own account - that's why it is owned by root or someone else, so it isn't visible to the reseller.

The customer accounts that belong to the reseller need to be assigned to the reseller somehow. One easy way is to assign that ownership in WHM's Account functions.

With the version I am using, cPanel 9.4.0-R21, you can switch to any of them when you log in to any one of them with the reseller passsword. With previous verions, you have to log out and log in as each account, but the reseller password still works.