The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I prevent users from parking/adding our main domain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stephanie_R, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Stephanie_R

Stephanie_R Active Member

I have already opened a ticket today with regards to this and wonder if anyone has suggestions that may help.

We have an issue where we have customers parking or adding our primary domain via cpanel.
    This causes untold disruption, loss of email, support tickets etc.. until we find the culprit and remove the domain.
    We already had the following option checked:

Prevent users from parking/adding on common internet domains. (ie hotmail.com, aol.com)

Does anyone know the location of the file containing these domains so we can add our primary to it?

Any suggestions with regards to preventing this will be gratefully received, thanks :)

2. -jdk-

-jdk- Well-Known Member

Nice question. Can't wait to see the answer myself. I am assuming the sites adding your site are on the same ip address as your nameservers?

3. Stephanie_R

Unfortunately Yes :(

I had a reply to my ticket from cpanel who are looking into finding the file for us, I hope we can sort something out soon as frantic 2am phone calls can be draining.
    Customers do some wonderful things huh? :p

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Why would your own clients be doing this to begin with? I would seriously question their motives and evaluate whether or not they are worth having. I know I have never ever heard of a client doing this.

Maybe the solution is educate the client(s) on why they should not do this. Move your primary site to a dedicated IP or seperate server.

5. Stephanie_R

Yes, I agree with you David.

I've had a reply from cpanel and it looks really encouraging, the file to add the domains to is:

/usr/local/cpanel/etc/commondomains

I'm going to try that first thing and look at other methods as you suggested, if anyone else tries it and adding to this file resolves the issue for them, please let me know :)