The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I receive notifications regarding undeliverable emails?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by MrsBee, Apr 6, 2011.

1. MrsBee

MrsBee Member

Hi everyone,

I am a Linux administrator noob and would like to know how I can set up my server to send me an email every time the server deals with an undeliverable email going through its SMTP server.

I know that I am able to view these messages in WHM > Email > View Mail Statistics > List of Errors, however in the past (on other servers as an end user, not as an administrator) I have automatically received an email in Outlook Express whenever the server has been unable to deliver an email - for example, I would get an instant email if the recipient address was a total dud, or I would get periodical emails every 4 hours or so if the recipient address was valid but delayed for whatever reason.

I could really do with these bounceback/undeliverable emails being emailed directly into my Outlook Express, instead of just being stored in the above List of Errors section (that section seems to hold a maximum of 300 reports and so is no good when I suspect I might be dealing with over 1,000 bouncebacks).

I hope I have explained things clearly enough. I would really appreciate any help that any of you guys could give me :)

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In: WHM > Server Configuration > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup, set your Contact Information correctly.
    In: WHM > Server Contacts > Change System Mail Preferences, you can add an off server email address to these sections.
    In: WHM > Server Contacts > Contact Manager, select Low for Priority, and you'll be contactd by the server for all listed events.

3. MrsBee

MrsBee Member

Hi Infopro,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I have checked each of the settings you specified in 1) and 2) above and confirm that I already have an off-server email address detailed in the relevant boxes.

Regarding your last point 3) - did you mean the 'Minimum Alert Priority' radio button on the 4th row of the first table, the row where my off-server email address is specified under 'Alert Destination'? If so then I selected low priority in there and clicked Save.

After doing that, I sent a mini-mailing via the server to just 6 dud email addresses, but I still have not received any undeliverable messages back into Outlook Express.

The off-server email address that I have used is my own with my ISP and I receive other emails to it throughout the day, so I'm really stumped now as to what could be going wrong! :confused:

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What account are you using for the mailing? Of note, those areas in WHM do not control the bounce email address for a set domain. The domain that receives bounce notifications is normally the sending email account, since usually if you have an email not reach the intended recipient, you want that email that bounces back to go to the sender to know it failed.

5. MrsBee

MrsBee Member

Tristan ... my mailshot is being sent from one of the domain names that I have hosted on the server. That domain has catch-all email forwarding to my email address with my ISP - I have double-checked this is the case for that particular domain name, and can confirm that in Cpanel > Set Default Address, the radio button for 'Forward to email address' is checked, and my email address with my ISP is correctly inserted.

The strange thing is that whilst I am not receiving bouncebacks/undeliverable emails after doing a mailshot, I do receive them during a different task. I have shopping cart software on my website which automatically sends an order acknowledgement email to the customer. If the customer has entered a dud email address, I receive an undeliverable email into Outlook Express telling me that the customer's email receipt could not be sent.

In my shopping cart software, I have the SMTP server name set as 'localhost'. On the contrary, in my mailshot script I have no reference to localhost but one of the lines states '$mailprog = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';'. That bit of information might be completely useless to you, I'm not sure(!) but does anything in the above information help you to find out what might be wrong?

#5 MrsBee, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

You'll be forwarding spam quite possibly. I suggest all unrouted mail be set to :fail: instead.

I can't comment on this 'mailshot' thing, no idea what that is.

7. MrsBee

MrsBee Member

Thank you Infopro ..... at present I do not get any spam for that particular domain name and so for the moment I don't mind using a catch-all if it means I am able to sort this problem out.

Would anybody know whether the fact that my script has no reference to 'localhost' would make any difference? As mentioned above, in my mailing script I have '$mailprog = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';' in one of the lines. Is 'sendmail' the same as 'localhost', or does it send emails via the server in some different way other than via SMTP?

I do understand that you will not be familiar with my own mailing script, however the point to note is that the mailing script successfully sends email through the server (using 'sendmail') just as my shopping cart software does (using 'localhost'). My problem is that whilst most of the emails from my mailing script get delivered to the intended recipients, some of them do not and will bounce back - it is those bouncebacks/undeliverable emails that I am not receiving. For some reason, when using my shopping cart software, I do receive bounceback/deliverable emails back.

Even though I have queried 'localhost' and 'sendmail' above, I still would have thought that as long as the mail has been sent via the server, then the method that the server uses to deal with bouncebacks/undeliverables would be the same, regardless of what code was used to send the emails in the first place?

8. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    sendmail is not the same as localhost, since localhost is the local server address. Your mailshot program isn't using SMTP (exim) but sendmail, which is a different protocol for sending emails. If it is possible to configure it to use SMTP authentication instead, it might then work to have the bounce emails delivered how you would like, but the best place to find out how to reconfigure it would be to ask the makers of the script.

9. MrsBee

MrsBee Member

Hi Tristan, that's really helpful, thank you very much. I will see if I can get it changed as soon as I get time, and will come back to update the thread just in case it helps anybody else out who might be having a similar problem. Thank you all once again :)