The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I redirect deleted accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thurmma, May 3, 2010.

1. thurmma

thurmma Member

I have found the answer to this question before, but can't for the life of me now.

I want to redirect all domains that still have our nameservers asssigned, but don't have an account on our server.

I know this is probably very simple, but I am not a ReWrite wiz by any stretch of the imagination.

2. LiquidWebBenny

PartnerNOC

If you're going to point them to the same place, it would make sense just to park them on that domain.

Like, if you want to send them to your site, just park the domain on your account.

3. thurmma

thurmma Member

When a customer cancels, we don't want to have the domain sitting on our server, otherwise that would be a viable option :)

4. LiquidWebBenny

PartnerNOC

Where do you want them to redirect to, then? If you have control of the domain because it's on your nameservers, then you can send the traffic wherever you'd like.

5. anton_latvia

anton_latvia Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think you need to check out /usr/local/apache/htdocs folder - this is default apache homedir - if deleted domains are still pointing to your server and VirtualHost configuration does not exist in apache's config, they will come to that folder. Just put some simple .htaccess file to redirect everyone somewhere.. ;)
    Anton.

6. thurmma

thurmma Member

Thank you for jogging my memory! All I did was reset the DocumentRoot for the default Virtual Server and it worked :)

I warned everyone it would be a simple solution :)

7. thurmma

thurmma Member

I may have spoke to soon. It appears to be working sporadicaly. Some domains will redirect and some won't. All no longer have accounts on our server and the nameservers are still pointing to us. I guess it is partially working. I will continue to search :)

8. myBox

myBox Active Member

hi,

in order to achieve this you must not delete the domain from your DNS server. otherwise, it will not work.

setting the domain name servers to yours is not enough.

so it is a two part solution.

first, keep the domain in your DNS server. then tweak the default apache server vhost.

meaning when you do nslookup it should resolve to your server.

I did not do this before but I came across posts that are trying to do something like this.

for example enom or godaddy. once you change your domain dns to them your domain will work with their default page.

it has something to do with dns server logs and parsing them then adding DNS record for the domains that are not added.

search cpanel and wht for posts about this. I am sure you will find something.

and if you do find something, please share.

good luck.