Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How do i restore a .gz database backup file form cpanel.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by terrific, Oct 9, 2004.

1. terrific

terrific Member

I have downloaded a database backup from cpanel and now i need to restore it. I have a database.gz backup file. Its not gzipped? what is .gz? I tried the restore database function from cpanel it uploaded it and took me to another screen that said "Restoring Database" no progress bar nothing? Do i leave this window open? or is it done?

2. lee.

lee. Member

hello,

.gz is a file compression format; I use the free wingz12 gzipper/unzipper on Windows XP.

Have you done anything to the backup that you want to re-upload? You don't need to restore the same backup if you simply downloaded it to have a look at it.

If you have made some changes and you're sure you did them correctly, re-gzip under the same name it originally had, then upload using the backup facility and you should be ok.
    I wouldn't know how to do any more than that.

lee

3. terrific

terrific Member

I know its a gz file, i thought it wasnt because i tried to use gunzip on it and it told me it was an invalid file. Maybe i downloaded a corrupt backup, i'm just not sure :(