The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I set up a new user with retricted permissions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SharonGilmore, May 6, 2011.

1. SharonGilmore

SharonGilmore Member

I'm giving cPanel access to my dev site to a new user, but I want to restrict him so that he can't access the main site. The dev code is in a sub-folder in the main site. How can I do this?

I want him to be able to ftp in, but only access site_dev and its subsites; he should not be able to access anything above this folder.

Thanks.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    The easy answer is to create an addon FTP user and give him access that directory. Find the FTP Accounts section in your cPanel to do this. He will have zero access to cPanel itself though, as it should be. You don't want to give anyone access to cPanel, nor is is possible to create a sub user for cPanel itself.

There is though a Feature Request in for this, you might like to sign onto if this is the sort of functionality you seek:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/case-44353-multiple-cpanel-logins-cpanel-subusers-77145.html

HTH!

3. SharonGilmore

SharonGilmore Member

Thank you! I've done that now, set it up via ftp. I don't want anyone else to have cpanel access, so that's fine.

Thanks again.