How Do I Stop Receiving Bounced Emails?

Jeff75

Apr 11, 2003
For some reason I started receiving bounced emails and mail failures due to viruses in my Outlook today. I'm not sure why it all the sudden started happening because I haven't changed any of the contact settings in WHM for weeks.

I've received over 100 bounced emails that should have been sent to the client's email address instead of the root email "[email protected]".

Can somebody tell me how I can make it so I wont' receive these emails anymore and they will be sent to the client's default email account instead? I'm tired of deleting all the emails.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

NNNils

Sep 17, 2002
Since I had to forward rootmail to my e-mail, I am receiving tons of crap a day also.

I don't know what it all is, is there a solution for it?

rpmws

Aug 14, 2001
back woods of NC, USA
Originally posted by Jeff75
For some reason I started receiving bounced emails and mail failures due to viruses in my Outlook today. I'm not sure why it all the sudden started happening because I haven't changed any of the contact settings in WHM for weeks.

I've received over 100 bounced emails that should have been sent to the client's email address instead of the root email "[email protected]".

Can somebody tell me how I can make it so I wont' receive these emails anymore and they will be sent to the client's default email account instead? I'm tired of deleting all the emails.

http://securityresponse1.symantec.com/sarc/sarc.nsf/html/[email protected]

perfectsquare

Sep 11, 2002
Re: Re: How Do I Stop Receiving Bounced Emails?

Originally posted by rpmws
http://securityresponse1.symantec.com/sarc/sarc.nsf/html/[email protected]

Just because they are receiving the bouces, it does not mean that their computer is sending out viruses.

The virus hijacks an address book and uses random addresses for BOTH the From and the To fields, so the only way to trace the email is by the IP.

sitekeeper

Aug 13, 2001
Troy, Mo
Just look in the log files using:
less /var/log/exim_mainlog

or

tail -f /var/log/exim_mainlog
to see what is happening live

casey

Jan 17, 2003
Re: Re: Re: How Do I Stop Receiving Bounced Emails?

Originally posted by perfectsquare
Just because they are receiving the bouces, it does not mean that their computer is sending out viruses.

The virus hijacks an address book and uses random addresses for BOTH the From and the To fields, so the only way to trace the email is by the IP.

It must also be scanning webpages as well, because I am receiving these [email protected] e-mails to an address that I have never used to send e-mail. I have never received e-mail to it either, but it is listed on a few sites as my contact address.

PWSowner

Nov 10, 2001
ON, Canada
It must be, because I'm getting bounced messages from addresses that I have on my sites for contact only also.

I'm getting lots of bounces saying I sent them and they couldn't be delivered. Would that not mean that some of those messages are actually being delivered to someone and they think I'm sending them? What can we do about that?

jrehmer

Apr 10, 2003
Denver, CO
Originally posted by squirrel
It must be, because I'm getting bounced messages from addresses that I have on my sites for contact only also.

I'm getting lots of bounces saying I sent them and they couldn't be delivered. Would that not mean that some of those messages are actually being delivered to someone and they think I'm sending them? What can we do about that?

Yes I'd like to know what we can do about that as well considering the fact that its happening from my support and sales e-mail addresses, and its very frustrating, especially since those e-mails are eSupport pipes which then creates a trouble ticket in my system with the contents of the returned message.......so ANNOYING.

Peace,
Jesse

NNNils

Sep 17, 2002
It is indeed very anoying.

E-mails are also sent from my address to for example [email protected]

If this goes on like this, in the end everyone will be listed up in spam lists I guess...

VirtuaLira

Feb 1, 2004
Chile
but this is not a solution...

I have the same problem, receive a lot of bounced messages, and I not send this kind of messages with virus. the 90% of the bounces in my email, are detected by the destinatary server, but I NEVER SEND A EMAIL TO THEM!!... wtf??

I really need to solve this, is a virus on the system? how the exim get the emails to send the spam/mail ?, how this is delivered? I have all the settings checked in the security and all the tips of "secure the server" topics and more gadgets... but... no solution!... How we can stop this??

Thanks.