The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i tell what Website is causing High server loads with WHM?

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by lighthouseweb, Feb 2, 2011.

1. lighthouseweb

lighthouseweb Member

I have been running a MVS (Managed Virtual Server on Rochen) for about 4 months or so.. and so far it been great.

I'm using WHM 11.26.8

But One problem is that i say have 30 site running on the server.. So are just 100 users a month some are 5000 a month some are 10,000 a month..

Nothing that server intense..

But if my sever has a high load on it.. How can I tell what website is causing the problem..

Is there something in Cpanel that you can do to see this.. As i know I can look at all of my website - but gheezzeee.. that takes hours to figure that out.. when your server load goes down you can't see what the problem was..

Would like to solve it when the problem is showing..

I know for say if I run an mass email from one of my accounts i see the server load goes up.. but i know what site is working right then..

But if i'm not running something on my personal site - it could be one of my clients site..

Thanks for any info..

if you need other info please let me know

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello lighthouseweb,

If you are using suPHP, then PHP processes will show up as the user in TOP when running that in root SSH. When the load is high, you could view the users that are running processes to see the results.

You can see which PHP handler you are using in WHM > Apache Configuration > PHP and SuExec Configuration area.

You could also check WHM > Daily Process Logs to see what users are high there.

Finally, if you see MySQL with high CPU usage, you could also run this command to see the users running database processes:

Code:
    mysqladmin proc
    Thanks.

3. lighthouseweb

lighthouseweb Member

Wow - i'm not a SSH person (opps not sure why i put SSH in here)

This is great info is there a micky mouse aproach to this.. As i already have a Managed server..

Not sure if i have some of what you are telling me as my host turns some stuff of so i don't break my server..

If i have a good instructions and really hope i don't break it i think i could do this..

Thanks for the reply and any more info would be GREAT.. as i need to solve this problem..

#3 lighthouseweb, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  4. lighthouseweb

lighthouseweb Member

Oh all i really see is this info for server loads

Load Averages 0.25 0.24 0.32 (this is a low one.. some time the first value get to 3.00) site will be slow.. even when its at 2 i would like to see whom or what site is doing this to me..

Just trying to learn more about my server with out breaking it..

5. lighthouseweb

lighthouseweb Member

I'm looking in your ONLINE demo and can't even find the

You can see which PHP handler you are using in WHM > Apache Configuration > PHP and SuExec Configuration area.

You could also check WHM > Daily Process Logs to see what users are high there.

Or i must be glind...

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    These are in WHM not cPanel. Do you have access to WHM? Are you root user logged into WHM on the machine?

7. lighthouseweb

lighthouseweb Member

I should be the root user - (but not sure if we mean the same thing)

I login to my server have all the same stuff as your demo does for the WHM

But just can't see certain stuff - I'm hosted with Rochen using there Virtual managed server.

Please tell me exactly where to go...

As this - WHM > Daily Process Logs

Means do i say login to my WHM then look for the Daily process logs.. But i have looked under each tab on the left that i can't find this - even did a search on the page to see if i was blind.. but still nothing..

Just really want to see what website(user) is causing my high server loads..

And i'm not a linux guy thats why i get it manged for me.. to many commands to learn and so simple to break something.. :D

thanks for any more help :rolleyes:

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For your login username, is the username root? If it is not root, then you have a reseller account rather than a root user and you will need to ask your hosting provider if they can enable those options.

9. lighthouseweb

lighthouseweb Member

Is there a way that I can find out that i'm a root user? without asking my host..

and what do i need them to add to WHM???

10. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's pretty straightforward. Is your WHM username root? If your WHM username for the login there is not root, then you are not a root user for WHM and must ask them to add the options into your reseller WHM.

At that point, simply tell them you want to be able to see Daily Process Logs and know what PHP handler you have (which would be in PHP and SuExec Configuration area under Apache Configuration).

11. lighthouseweb

lighthouseweb Member

No its not ROOT

I have a username for my WHM - so again i don't have ROOT access - if so thats fine but i will ask them to turn the stuff on..

As I imagine they turn stuff off so we don't break our sever..

12. sniperscope

sniperscope Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello
    I have same problem. My Dedicated server has 3 web pages in it but sometimes i have High-Load alert.
    When i check it through cPanel it shows Server Load 18.57 (2 cpus) and Memory Used 90.2 % but a few minutes later all those became normal
    When i check which site cause this through WHM >> Main >> Server Status >> Daily Process Log and i found that root cause this.
    What is wrong and why root takes so much source. Also how can i fix it if this is a problem.

Regards