The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I turn off this password system????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bearcat, Dec 21, 2005.

1. bearcat

bearcat Member

I am finding this a MAJOR annoyance, and I always have. I want to change my password, and it won't allow to me to.

It apparently wants something like kejsRfr4rtg

I'm not doing that, it's needless. This program is so selective that it tells me that I can't use the password magt810 because it's a dictionary word!!

I use hundreds of different passwords which I make up on the fly. I can do that because they are somewhat memorable. On sites that are not ecommerce-based, I am not going to start using klunky passwords because Cpanel tells me I have to. This shows a lack of real-world security understanding at the level required by the great majority of Cpanel users, and if anything, it

1. prevents people from changing their passwords regularly
    2. makes them use a much smaller number of passwords, which is a more credible security threat in many or most circumstances.
    3. Makes people keep copies of passwords on their systems for copy and paste rather than keeping them off-system and typing them in.

I want this turned off. How is it done?

Thanks ahead of time for your response. :)

#1 bearcat, Dec 21, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  2. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you want to use passwords like magt810 then expect your site /server to be hacked into on a regular basis. Nowadays, passwords like that are just too easy to crack with some of the hacker scripts around. I know passwords like kejsRfr4rtg might seem impossible to remember, but there also very dificult to crack.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There're no configuration options in WHM to change the password restrictions, so you will have to live with it.

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

If that were the case, then password changing by the server administration services would be an integral part of server hardening, since you can set a very simple password in Cpanel when creating a site.

Well, it's too bad Ensim and Plesk aren't as good as Cpanel.