The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i upgrade kernel version ??

Discussion in 'Security' started by ANKUR KUMAR, Oct 31, 2012.

1. ANKUR KUMAR

ANKUR KUMAR Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How do i upgrade kernel version ?? If i restore websites after fresh installation..data center says it is a problem..:(

My current kernel Version is 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64.

My data center tell me ...

kernel up gradation on the server is not suggestible while the sites are live on the server , there may be file integration mismatch with respect to OS

or WHM which will actually corrupt the data and websites hosted may go down ..

If i ask my datacenter to take a Back up and re install the server with updated / Current stable kernel version .. Will it be possible for me to restore all back up i take ?

Or data center is right ?

i really need to upgrade current kernel version without any loss ..

is it possible ?? or i need to live with old kernel version which is may lack security

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I've never really seen a kernel upgrade result in WHM/cPanel issues or complete server corruption, without there being some sort of unrelated underlying issue.

All you need to do is yum update kernel*, then reboot. Make sure that after installing the kernel, your /etc/grub.conf file is set to load the correct one. It goes without saying though that you should have a backup of your data regardless.