The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do incremental backups work?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by sonicthoughts, Sep 16, 2015.

1. sonicthoughts

sonicthoughts Well-Known Member

The docs state: "

WARNING: If you choose to use Incremental backups, you cannot restore the account to a time before your last backup.

But incremental backup allows multiple backups per day, week, month, etc.

If you cannot restore before the last backup, what is the point of including day, week, month, etc.?

I simply want to reduce a full backup when few things change, but able to restore to a previous date. I realize that I need more local storage (although I plan to mount a remote /backup drive).

I see lot's of feature requests but unless I'm reading this incorrectly, there is absolutely no value to setting a per day/week/month retention policy with incremental backups.

Roy Miller likes this.
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can still schedule "Incremental Backups" to run daily, weekly, and/or monthly. However, there's only one backup that's available at any time. Thus, you will notice the "Retention" field is not adjustable when incremental backups are enabled.

Thank you.

3. feldon27

feldon27 Well-Known Member

Reducing the time per day/week that the server behaves like it has just discovered tequila.

When cPanel is running backups, the server tends to be extremely busy with increased response times until said backups are complete. By doing incremental backups, you can backup more often without increasing the number of times per day/week that your server is super busy/unresponsive. In exchange for this setting, you can expect a longer restore process should something go wrong and you need to recover from a crash.

4. alinford

alinford Well-Known Member

How incremental backups work is less than clear. When selected it says 'This option allows only one backup. This option will only save changed information.' However, daily, weekly and monthly can all be selected at the same time, with each showing that they will retain 1 backup. This would indicate that a total of 3 backups are retained, 1 daily, 1 weekly and 1 monthly.

feldon27 likes this.
  5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should notice the "Retention" field is not adjustable when incremental backups are enabled. Hovering over the value shows that it's not adjustable.

Thank you.

6. alinford

alinford Well-Known Member

I understand that the retention field is not adjustable, but because the 3 fields are separate, visible and selectable, it can be understood that one each (1 daily, 1 weekly and 1 monthly), is being retained, not 1 dailyweeklymonthly. The interface should only allow a single selection. For example, if daily is selected, weekly and monthly should not be selectable, as they do not apply.

It would be great if cPanel would fix backups so that there is more than 1 available, but at least fix the interface and language to make it clear that it really is only a single backup. I walked around the office, and not a single person understood the way it actually works. A couple read it several times and said that it sounds like there is only a single backup, but that is obviously wrong as it would make backups close to useless. So, even though they understood it correctly, they did not believe they were correct.

7. sonicthoughts

sonicthoughts Well-Known Member

Hi @cPanelMichael - Can you please comment on @alinford note here. Is there a feature request or plan to improve backups in the near future? Just looking for an offline, basic daily,weekly, monthly backup strategy that does not require 10x storage space.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I'm happy to open an internal case to our developers to request a change to the user interface. Could you provide an example of text or a screenshot of how you would prefer the user interface alerted users to the fact that retention settings are not configured when incremental backups are enabled?

As far as a feature request, it's open at:

Incremental Backups Multiple Retention

Thank you.