Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How do you add an alias to a subdomain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jupitered, Feb 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jupitered

jupitered Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I want to create an alias for an existing subdomain, which in itself is also a subdomain from the same domain.

alpha.example.com # website's main address
    bravo.example.com # website's secondary address

I tried adding an entry for bravo.example.com in example.com's domain zone (both as an A and a CNAME record), and adding it as a corresponding alias in the userdata file in /var/cpanel. This works, except AutoSSL cannot verify bravo.example.com, showing the following error in the logs:

Code:
    0:00:47 AM The website “alpha.example.com”, owned by “example”, has a valid SSL certificate, but additional SSL coverage may be possible for the domain “bravo.example.com”. The system will attempt to replace this certificate with one that includes this additional domain.
     0:00:47 AM WARN The domain “bravo.example.com” failed domain control validation: You do not have a document root for the domain “bravo.example.com”.
     0:00:47 AM AutoSSL cannot add any new domains to SSL coverage for the website “example.com”.
    I've verified that I can visit bravo.example.com in my browser, and works as expected, but https does not (obviously) saying the certificate is invalid.

So, I'm figuring I'm missing something, since I had to edit the files manually, and I do not see anything in the managing site (that is clear to me) about adding aliases to an already existing subdomain (only redirects, which is not what I want).

What's the proper way to do this? Or if not currently possible via cPanel, is there a configuration file I can edit manually so that both alpha and bravo are included in the same certificate?

Thanks in advance.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can't do this in the cPanel UI via the Aliases option, but you can add the alias to the subdomain using Web Host Manager:

"WHM Home » DNS Functions » Park a Domain"

Try reverting the manual modifications you made and using the above option to see if that solves the issue.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...