The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you download and install a 'stable' version of cPanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iworkinboxers, Mar 22, 2010.

1. iworkinboxers

iworkinboxers Registered

I have a question. How does one download and install a 'stable' version of cPanel and WHM instead of the 'latest' release? I know you can go backwards inside of WHM once you've installed the 'latest' release, however, that's not the route I want to go. I want to install the current stable version right from the start, and not go backwards.

What are the links, as well as the installation commands to do this?

Thanks.

cPanelDon likes this.
  2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    To define a specific build tree, (such as "STABLE"), setup a file at the following path before performing the installation of cPanel:
    Code:
    /etc/cpupdate.conf
    Populate the file with contents such as the one of the following examples, either the bare-minimum of one line or a full set of possible values:
    • Bare-minimum
      Code:
      CPANEL=stable
    • Complete set
      Code:
      BANDMINUP=inherit
      COURIERUP=inherit
      CPANEL=stable
      DOVECOTUP=inherit
      EXIMUP=inherit
      FTPUP=inherit
      MYSQLUP=inherit
      NSDUP=inherit
      PYTHONUP=inherit
      RPMUP=daily
      SYSUP=daily

After the file is setup at /etc/cpupdate.conf this should result in the cPanel installation installing using the desired build tree.

For additional information and verbose details please refer to the following areas of our web site:

3. iworkinboxers

iworkinboxers Registered

Thanks much for your help... I definitely appreciate the input. With any luck I can make this work. :)

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Iworkinboxers, the term "STABLE" is somewhat misleading and somewhat of a misconception where Cpanel is concerned as that is the name of one of the release trees and actually the least updated but subsequently the last usually to bet security fixes, important updates, bug fixes, etc for all except the most cataclysmic "must do" right now type of things.

Because of this and long time experience working with Cpanel for many years --- I actually find "stable" consistently the most problem prone of all the release trees excluding of course BETA and EDGE which are both development release trees.

The one version with reasonably quick updates and fast application of security and bug fixes and over all the one with the most consistently running track record for the least problems (though it to gets them occationally) would be the CURRENT tree and that is the one that I would most recommend for someone trying to setup or use Cpanel especially for those doing this for the very first time.

If you are a little more cautious or reserved, you can keep the default RELEASE but I actually find this tree often having a lot more issues and problems than CURRENT and that may be because some 3rd party application may make some subtle change along the way and messes up things for RELEASE for a bit longer than changes applied to others.

I personally don't recommend anyone ever use STABLE unless there is a very specific (and usually very rare) reason to do so.

BETA is strictly for developer group and testing and self abusive psychotics like myself but fortunately is not a menu listed choice and only accessible by manual means and for good reason.

EDGE is generally good enough for use but as it is the "latest" cutting "EDGE" stuff just making release, it is a bit more prone to bugs though very often fixed quickly and same day usually but I would not recommend anyone use EDGE who does not have a long formal history as an experienced Cpanel user and server administrator.

So to recap what I just said from my long experience with Cpanel ---

STABLE -- I don't recommend using at all

LATEST -- Not the greatest but it works and you can use this

CURRENT -- Likely the best choice for most everyone out there

EDGE --- Only for professional experts

BETA --- If you are inclined to use that, you wouldn't be reading this

If you are having some particular problem or issue, there is many great people around these forums that would be all to glad to help you get things up and running --- self included.

Let us know what issues you are facing around here and there is very good chance you can get a very quick answer and solution.