The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do YOU manage backups?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TCarter, Nov 19, 2007.

1. TCarter

TCarter Member

Ive heard of people buying cheap hosting sites,

and running a script that ftp's the backup.

Any of you doing that? Or do you keep it on your one server?

2. SXR1337

SXR1337 Member

Good topic. If you buy a hosting site with for example 600 GB space ( some offer that ) and you pump that full , they will complain at some point ( even though they offered you 600 GB's)

Keeping it on your own server is pretty unsecure and no point in doing that , I think.
    I backup all the content to another dedicated server, got it with a very good deal. Huge hdd, old cpu and very little ram. But i use it as a server to store stuff anyways ;)

3. benfish

benfish Well-Known Member

I backup each server to separate accounts on hostgator via the built in backup script in WHM, works well for me :)

4. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Most will backup to a secondary hard drive on the same server and then remotely to another server / backup service. There are many storage services that out weigh the reliability of using a public hosting account that can bust at any time.

Its not impossible but highly unlikely for both drives to fail in the same server at the same time.

5. Danny_T

Danny_T Well-Known Member

I'm backing up to another server (w2k3) in the network (rsync to a CIFS mount).
    In feature i am going to use a NAS with HDD cabinets.

6. yapluka

yapluka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Local incremental daily backups + rsync to a remote server with a 7 days retention.
    We also compress the daily backups so each reseller have access to all their backups through FTP. I'm not sure they ever download them, though :rolleyes:

7. Matt Smith

Matt Smith Registered

Depends on the size of your websites. I backup some to my local server via FTP. For the larger sites I backup to a friends server and I return the favor. Having two servers on different networks, in different locations is a big plus for backups and status monitoring.

8. SXR1337

SXR1337 Member

Yep , I agree. And the backup job could kill the server, as we have 1000 sites running on 1 box. Need to move off ;)

9. XzaB

XzaB Active Member

I'm Offering webhosting since 2003, and i always do backup in External HDD in same Machine, and I never face any security problems,

but doing a Backup in External Server is a bad idea for me ! cause i got like 400 GB used in Primary HDD, so doing External Daily backup is waste of Bandwidth between 2 Servers especially My DataCenter is counting traffic in Internal Network operation !