The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you provide a reseller with a secondary nameserver on a different machine?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Valetia, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Valetia

Valetia Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How do you provide a reseller with a secondary nameserver on a different machine?

2. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

What I would do is you are just talking about one trusted reseller who is going to stick around and not just a nusiance who will cause you grief, is assuming both machines run whm/cpanel, allow him a limited reseller account on second machine exclusive to DNS settings on 2nd machine, where by he can add a second DNS zone for each site if he wishes, thereby creating extra nameservers for the site, of course he would just set one A record for each site. These would not be cutom nameservers just your default ones on the 2nd machine.

3. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

Err you don't have a secondary nameserver on a different machine for ALL your clients?

I'd say that's a bigger issue than just this nameserver...

(Hint, as far as my last reading of the rfc for dns was concerned, a properly configured domain had two seperate nameservers as a minimum, and the recommended number of machines was 3)
    You might want to seek into an automated solution for tracking your zones and update nameservers, I have a few scripts, pm me if you're interested.

4. Valetia

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry if I was being unclear.

We DO have a secondary nameserver on a different machine for ALL our clients.

What I wanted to know was, how do we provide a RESELLER with THEIR OWN secondary nameserver on a different machine (and have it sync properly with THEIR OWN primary nameserver), just like we do with ours?

Is that clear enough yet? Do YOU have the answer to that?

5. casey

casey Well-Known Member

What's the point of that? If the server is down it doesn't matter whether there's a live nameserver or not, right?

6. Valetia

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    AFAIK, having live nameservers when the web/email server is down allows for the following things to happen:

1. Email being sent to the down server is automatically queued for a number of resend tries by the sender's mail server, rather than being straight-out rejected.

2. Visitors trying to load a web site on the down server is given the message "server unavailable", instead of "the domain name is not found" or worse, verisign's web site (if their silly "Site Finder" is active).

3. And of course, when there is also a backup web/email server, things will simply go on as per normal.

7. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

Another reason a second ( one or 2 doesnt matter) set is handy (pref on a different network in a different location) is when for some reason often GEO related the primary nameservers have a glitch (as far as that particular ISP is concerned) and the ISP returns (for the browsers in that particular region) an unresolved error, this has happened to me with domains in other countries .

8. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand the distinction you make between yours and theirs, unless you mean theirs are physically seperate machines, or that somehow the process that allows you to copy your zones to your backup doesn't work for them.
    That part I don't understand. Of course, each time you add a reseller you must add extra ips for their nameservers, but don't they end up on the same machines?
    I'm guessing there's something I don't understand about your setup at this point. If your zones sync properly to secondary, so should theirs, from the same machine to the same machine, end of story.