Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does a Domain Name change affect cPanel Email Accounts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CodyAE, Mar 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CodyAE

CodyAE Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there cPanel forum users!

Here's the problem:
    I'm the systems administrator for a company that has a long-winded domain name. Recently, we have obtained a shorter, more suitable domain name, and I am now undergoing the process of making that domain name our primary one.

The transferring process, however, is not what confuses me. My problem is that we have our cPanel email accounts tied to the old domain name, and they must now be converted to the new domain name.

In other words, I want emails sent to "name@longexampledomain.com" to instead be sent to "name@newdomain.com".

How do I do this most effectively, without losing existing emails or losing incoming emails?

Should I setup a forward for each staff account, using cPanel's email forwarding? So "cody@longexampledomain.com" will forward to "cody@newdomain"?

I had someone at GoDaddy (our hosting provider) explain that simply changing the primary domain on our cPanel shared-server would change the email addresses too, but I'm not sure if I trust his word -- it seems too easy, and not backwards compatible (again, because our clients may accidentally address emails to the old emails/domain).

Let me know the best solution... Please note that because we are on a shared server that our access to WHM is limited/non-existent. (Eventually, I know I should bring things into a virtual server, dedicated server, or even a AWS environment, but that's a story for another day...)

Thanks!

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. CodyAE

CodyAE Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I took a look at that documentation. Will a domain forwarder still properly separate the incoming email though?

Like, for example, email addressed to name1@longexampledomain.com will go to name1@newdomain.com? And then also name2@longexampledomain.com will go to name2@newdomain.com?

So long as I create those new inboxes, correct?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You'd actually want to avoid creating new email accounts under the old domain name. Simply have your provider change the primary domain name associated with the account, add the previous domain name as an Alias or Addon domain name, and then setup the email domain forwarder. Here's a note from the Domain Forwarders document explaining how this works:

Thank you.