Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED How does blacklisting countries in cphulk work ?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Markif, Jun 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Markif

Markif Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello

here : CLOUDLINUX 7.5 standard [is30] v70.0.51 with CSF/LFD
    due to non-stop brute-force on email-accounts, I've activated CPHulk and used the new tab "Countries Management" and did set a country to "blacklisted" : OK.
    But looking at the maillog, and the LFD blocking actions on imapd failures, I still see this failures comes from the country that I blacklisted in CPHulk / Countries Management.

So I dont understand what is doing the country "blacklisting" from CPHulk : does it inhibit an IP from a country to connect to a mailservice (as I expect) or does it something else ?
    I would expect that if you blacklist a country in CPHulk, then the IPs of that country could *not* access the mailservices anymore.
    Or does it have as effect that they still *can* connect, but that there connection will always fail (so LFD will always endup up blocking them ?)

Thanks for clarification.
    Marco

2. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I use both cPHulk and CSF/LFD and there are defiantly differences between the two applications as to where they think an IP comes from.

I know that CSF/LFD use MaxMind GeoLite2 databases, and I personally have set it to update every 14 days.

Now I see eg IPs that LFD thinks is on the UK, being flagged as being in Germany by cPHulk.

I did ask in another post on this forum if cPanel would disclose what geo-location database is being used by cPHulk, and how often it was updated ...... but I don't think it was ever answered.

Don't forget that cPHulk blacklisting (IP or Country) will only block attempts to log in to your server (any of the services) but it does not block the IP from connecting and trying.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 rpvw, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello Marco,

The Countries Management feature with cPHulk Brute Force Protection lists countries that you can whitelist, blacklist, or remove from either list. The whitelist specifies the IP addresses that cPHulk always allows to log in to your server. The blacklist specifies the IP addresses that cPHulk never allows to log in to your server. It's not actually blocking these IP addresses at the firewall level. Instead, it's used to determine if the login attempt will succeed.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lwt

lwt Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi cPanelMichael

So if I am certain that I only login to the Server from US, so can I safely conclude that I can Blacklist all Countries except US?

If user were to travel overseas to say Austria and that Austria is currently being blacklisted in the Countries Management in cPHulk, can the user currently in Austria able to login with his/her credential into cPanel as well as access to his/her email?

Thanks.

5. rpvw

rpvw Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It is not only you that would be limited to logins only from the US, but all your customers as well.

cPHulk blocks the following logins
    • cPanel services (Port 2083).
    • WHM services (Port 2087).
    • Mail services (Dovecot and Exim).
    • The PureFTPd service.
    • Secure Shell (SSH) access.
    If you have blocked all country access other than from the US, when your US customer travels to Austria, they would be blocked from logging into any of the services listed above.

Full details from cPHulk Brute Force Protection - Version 74 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

cPanelMichael likes this.
  6. lwt

lwt Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Hi rpvw.

Thank you for your detail explanation.

cPanelMichael likes this.