Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How does cPanel zip the access-logs symlink?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Keeperax, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Keeperax

Keeperax Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I am trying to access the current (active) raw access logs in cPanel through SSH. For that, I found out that the access-logs symlink:
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 user user 34 Aug  6 03:00 access-logs -> /usr/local/apache/domlogs/user
    needs to be zipped. Zip is installed on the server but I am unable to zip the access-logs symlink. I have so far tried:
    Code:
    zip -r /home/homeqpig/access-logs-ftw.zip access-logs
    which returns:
    Code:
    zip warning: name not matched: access-logs
    I have also tried using the --symlink option of zip but to no avail.

Now I did run a "top -c" whilst having cPanel's file manager zip the access-logs symlink and I saw that it runs the same:
    Code:
    43097 user 39  19 99.1m 1228  800 R  7.1  0.0   0:00.07 zip -r /home/user/access-logs.zip access-logs
    What could be the problem zipping the access-logs via SSH? Is it possible? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you :)

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Are you logged in via SSH as "root" or as the account username? Also, ensure you use the full path to "access-logs" in-case you aren't in the correct directory. EX:

Code:
    zip /home/$username/access-logs-test.zip /home/$username/access-logs
    Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Keeperax

Keeperax Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I do not have root privileges - just a jailshell for the account username. It appears, though, that the symlink is in a chroot jail.

And yes, I have tried full paths all the way long as well as using 7zip, tar and others.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Keeperax

Keeperax Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I was about to open a ticket in the beginning, however I am required to provide a support access ID which I do not have.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi @Keeperax,

I've found this is actually related to an internal case, EA-4835, where /etc/apache2 isn't mounted for jailshell users. This leads to the issue you described where zipping the access-log file under /home/$user/ fails because it's not accessible. I'll update this thread once the resolution is published. In the meantime, you can add the following custom mount point in /var/cpanel/jailshell-additional-mounts using the instructions at How to Create Custom Jailed Shell (Jailshell) Mounts - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation :

Code:
    /etc/apache2/logs/domlogs
    Ensure you remove this entry after the resolution is published.

Thank you.