The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how does phpmyadmin works

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by vishal, Nov 3, 2003.

1. vishal

vishal Well-Known Member

Hello All,

Can anybody of you explain me how 'phpMyAdmin' works on Cpanel. As it allows users to create there own databases and disallows them from viewing other users databases.

I want to implement the same thing for phpMyAdmin on a NON-CPANEL server.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

2. mickeymouse

mickeymouse Well-Known Member

Dear vishal,

phpMyAdmin is a GUI base tool to manage your Mysql databases. Download the latest version, extract the files, and place them in a top-level directory on your Web server underneath the document root called phpmyadmin:

# tar -zxvf phpMyAdmin-2.2.5-php.tar.gz
    # cp -r phpMyAdmin-2.2.5 /www/phpmyadmin

Next, you\'ll need to make a few adjustments to the configuration file config.inc.php (it\'s in the phpmyadmin directory) that controls how phpMyAdmin works. The file contains a number of PHP variables that you can adjust to customize phpMyAdmin\'s features and behavior. To get started, let\'s make the following adjustments:

$cfgServers[1][\'controluser\'] = \'pma\';
    $cfgServers[1][\'controlpass\'] = \'Pa55word\';
    $cfgServers[1][\'auth_type\'] = \'cookie\';

The first two variables tell phpMyAdmin what initial username and password to use. Once you actually login to phpMyAdmin, it will use the username and password you supply in the Web form. The auth_type controls the type of authentication phpMyAdmin will use. The recommended method is to use cookie-based authentication. Others are described in the phpMyAdmin documentation.

Regards,

3. vishal

vishal Well-Known Member

Re: RE: how does phpmyadmin works

Thank you for the Reply....:)

I m using the same configuration as of the above and also created mysql users who are able to login with there respective details. They are able to create the databases. But Every other user can access all the databases created.
    i.e if i logged in as
    User1 and create a databases called testing

then if login as User2 then he is able to make changes in the testing database

Also all the users are able to see mysql and other importatnt databases which i dont want them to access.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thank you,