The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does Slave DNS Work?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by torwill, Nov 11, 2002.

1. torwill

torwill Well-Known Member

Hello,

My Primary/Slave DNS are up and running well. I have 3 box, ns1 (primary) on box1, ns2 (slave) on box2. And I have a third box.

Here is a question, what if, ns1 (primary) has failed, will ns2 on box2 take over immidiately? so websites on box2 and 3 will keep going?! and I changed DNS entries several times after having primary/slave dns configured, but I can't seem to find dns entries saved locally on box2 (/var/named), or I am looking into the wrong place?!

Thanks for your input. :)

2. torwill

thank you for the reply.

and where can I find zone files on ns2 and ns3? I can't find them. I hit &Synchronize DNS Records With Primary Nameserver & couple time, and it shows:

Rebuilding DNS Zones List from master server .....
    Rebuild Complete

but i just can't fine zone files on ns2, ns3........ ???

thanks!

3. torwill

1 of my slave nameserver isn't getting any zone files from primary nameserver.. what can I do???

I click on &Synchronize DNS Records With Primary Nameserver & so many times... and everytime, it says &Rebuild Complete&... but ... there is nothing at &/var/named/& on slave nameserver...

4. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:bab408d1c1][i:bab408d1c1]Originally posted by torwill[/i:bab408d1c1]

1 of my slave nameserver isn't getting any zone files from primary nameserver.. what can I do???

I click on &Synchronize DNS Records With Primary Nameserver & so many times... and everytime, it says &Rebuild Complete&... but ... there is nothing at &/var/named/& on slave nameserver...[/quote:bab408d1c1]
    I wrote a how-to please click on the link:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=2886#12807

Please read that thread entirely

5. torwill

hello, itf

actually, I set up the slave nameserver with your post. I followed every step. I set up 2 slave nameservers. and one is working fine. but no luck on the 2nd slave nameserver.

my problem is, although in WHM, I click on &Edit a Zone&, all zones on master nameserver are showing. but there are no zone files at &/var/named&, plus, I looked into &/etc/named.conf&. it is all showing &type master;&, instead of &type slave;&.

It's all working fine on my first slave nameserver, zones are loading in WHM, zones files are in /var/named, and /etc/named.conf, &type& are &slave&.

any thoughts on how to fix this?

thanks!!!

6. kwimberl

kwimberl Well-Known Member

Check to see if bind is running on BOTH the master AND the slave.

7. torwill

yes, it is... because they were two seperate nameservers....

box1: ns1, ns2

box2: ns3, ns4

and i am trying to make it like

box1: ns1

box2: ns2

redundancy.. that's what i need.. but i just can't get the zone transferred from one server to another.... ;(

8. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:4933a76522][i:4933a76522]Originally posted by torwill[/i:4933a76522]

hello, itf

actually, I set up the slave nameserver with your post. I followed every step. I set up 2 slave nameservers. and one is working fine. but no luck on the 2nd slave nameserver.

my problem is, although in WHM, I click on &Edit a Zone&, all zones on master nameserver are showing. but there are no zone files at &/var/named&, plus, I looked into &/etc/named.conf&. it is all showing &type master;&, instead of &type slave;&.

It's all working fine on my first slave nameserver, zones are loading in WHM, zones files are in /var/named, and /etc/named.conf, &type& are &slave&.

any thoughts on how to fix this?

thanks!!!
    [/quote:4933a76522]
    remove /etc/named.conf on the second server
    then run
    /scripts/rebuildnamedconf
    on the slave server
    and

/scripts/fixndc
    on both servers then follow the instructions on that post

(I wrote a how-to please click on the link: )
    http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=2886#12807

9. bonnmac

bonnmac Well-Known Member

Okay I know this is an old thread but I'm confused. Hoping someone can tell me step by step what I need to do.

I have server #1 (which is Ensim) (I own this one)

It has these nameservers

ns1.crediblehost.com
    ns2.crediblehost.com

Server #2 (Ensim) (I own this one)

ns3.crediblehost.com
    ns4.crediblehost.com

Server #3 (cPanel)(Reseller Account)

ns5.crediblehost.com
    ns6.crediblehost.com

Server #4 (cpanel) (Reseller Account)

ns7.crediblehost.com
    ns8.crediblehost.com

Server #5 (Plesk)(Reseller Account)

ns9.crediblehost.com
    dns1.crediblehost.com

Server #6 (cPanel)(Reseller Account)

dns2.crediblehost.com
    dns3.crediblehost.com

Server #7 (cPanel)(I own this one)

dns4.crediblehost.com
    dns5.crediblehost.com

Server #8 (cPanel)(I own this one)

dns6.crediblehost.com
    dns7.crediblehost.com

Now for my question.

How do I sync these all together? Do I just add A Records on all of them pointing to ips of others?

Thanks

10. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't think you are correctly understanding how it is supposed to work. :)

Unless you are doing a Round Robin (or other type method to backup live Web pages, from one Server to another) it makes no sense to link them. If ns1 fails, what is the sense to go to another IP address, when the files located at ns1 (or ns2 in this case) are not located anywhere else?

11. compunet2

compunet2 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand either.... if NS1 which is the box with all the files fails, and NS2 takes over (which is on a box that doesn't have all the files), are you saying the pages can't be served anyway? I know having several DNS's is for redundency, but redundency of what? What is the point of having a separate DNS?

12. MN-Robert

MN-Robert Well-Known Member

If box 1 with ns1 fails clients that are on other servers are not dependant on ns1 being up.

13. bjarne

bjarne Well-Known Member

Slave DNS server is something that is a technical demand from the one registerering the domains , TLD regs.

The reason is that if one name server stops working, you can still get the info from the other one. There are no difrence on a master and a slave realy - the both have the same info. So also they now call it primary and secundary. I suppose primary is the one making the updates or where information is changed from time to time. The other ones just mirror the information and gets it time by time from the primary.

On a redundant set up you would run two DNS servers, one webserver, one databaseserver and one mailserver. So if one DNs goes down, people can still find the website and deliver mail.

Anyway on hosting machines like WHM all is on one box, and a slave DNS does not help much if the box is down. It does however prevent you from getting errors like: the domain does not exist. This you will get if you run both DNS on same box.