The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does SpamAssassin flag spam?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tdl, Dec 23, 2014.

1. tdl

tdl Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

I've been searching the cPanel and SpamAssassin documentation to try and find the answer to this but I've hit a brick wall.

I'm trying to find out how SpamAssassin actually flags emails as spam. I've seen it documented that there's an option to create a Spam box in your IMAP folders. But that is not enabled. Also I know you can set Spam to auto-delete. That is not enabled either.

So I'm imagining it puts something in the subject field of the email. But I can't find out exactly what that string is so we can set some rules up.

Thanks all for your help! If I could be pointed to the documented answer, I'll be very pleased indeed!

Matt

2. tdl

tdl Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's helpful.

Follow on question on account-level filtering.

a) Is there no way to set an action to prepend something to the subject (i.e. [SPAM])
    b) If you set on an account-level to move into a specific folder, will it move it into that folder for all individual accounts (under their account) or will it just move to the default account's folder?

Thanks!

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1. In "WHM Home » Service Configuration » Exim Configuration Manager", under the "Filters" tab, you can enable or modify the following option:

"Apache SpamAssassin™: X-Spam-Subject/Subject header prefix for spam emails"

2. It redirects mail to the folder specified for all mail that matches the criteria.

Thank you.

4. tdl

tdl Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Great, all sorted. Thank you for your help.