The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does WHM Password Protect Directories work ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jayce, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Jayce

Jayce Registered

Aug 7, 2004
    Hi All,
    I just started a VPS plan with Servint. I am trying to secure a few directories..

Can you please give me some guidelines on how to use the Password Protect Directories feature from Cpanel ?
    I have a directory
    When I do not protect directory, I can see the content of this directory (there is no index, therefore I can see everything). Please note this is on purpose.
    If I click on my sub_sub_folder directory, and the content of my index.php appears.

Now here is the funny part, whenever I use the feature Password Protect Directories from Cpanel(meaning I check the box requiring a username & password; I have also added a username and password) for the folder, I cannot access to that folder anymore, nor access to
    The system does not even request for a username and password, and it is just looping on :
    Connecting to Waiting for
    Until the following error message pops up :
    “Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may be caused by cookies that are blocked” (message from Mozilla Firefox)
    I did try also by securing the directory with no username. Same issue !

From IE, I have only, opening and the browser keep loading with no error message.

BTW : .haccess file content is the following :

From my previous web hoster and my personal linux box I had the following, and it still works fine

I did try the latter, and it did not work etiher !

I am lost. Please help. Thanks