The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hard To Transfer WHM?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hines, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Hines

Hines Active Member

Hello Friends,

I have WHM and host maybe 10 sites.

My domain is [www.dumbname.com] (example)....from which I host these sites.

I would like to set up WHM on a new domain: [www.coolname.com] (example).

How hard will it be to set up a new WHM on the new domain (coolname.com) and transfer all of my domains over?

Is there an easy way to do this?

I know that it is possible to copy one account at a time from another server into a newly set up WHM. I am hoping there is away to just copy everything, including DNS entries, so I don't have much of a chance to mess everything up. hehe

I am a relative amateur and my experience with SSH is very weak.

#1 Hines, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Hines,

Just to clarify, you want to go to an entirely new machine with WHM simply to change the main domain name for an account or the hostname? You could just create a new account or change the main hostname on the existing machine, than also change the nameservers on the existing machine. This wouldn't necessarily entail moving to a new machine.

If you have other reasons for moving to a new cPanel machine such as a better CPU or RAM or a different datacenter provider, then you could use the WHM > Transfers > Copy multiple accounts/packages from another server area to mass migrate all the accounts to the new machine. Everything would copy over to the new machine and you'd simply need to change the nameservers for those domains to point them to the new machine's nameservers.

If you are keeping the same nameservers, you'd need to change the nameservers to the new IP(s) on the new machine at your domain registrar.

Thanks.

3. Hines

Hines Active Member

Thank you.

Thankyou, cpaneldanielle. You answered my question. Yes, I have no need to move to a physical machine. I figured out--with your help--I just needed a nameserver change. Thanx again! :D

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Cool, glad that helped you out! :)