The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW I GOT Urchin/CPanel/XController TO WORK

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by payne, Jun 12, 2003.

1. payne

payne Well-Known Member

ok. I had many many problems getting this working... but I finally did. Here's the info I wish I would have had to start with:

First of all, make sure you have urchin installed with a license. Just because you have an urchin folder doesn't mean you have it installed with a license. To verify that you have a license, login to your urchin administration panel. By default it is set at http://{yourdomain}:9999, but Rackshack installs put it on http://{yourdomain}:8080. If you don't have a license, it will ask you to enter one.

Now, one of my problems was that I installed urchin in /usr/local/urchin4 even though it was already installed in /usr/local/urchin. Not good. I got all mixed up over which urchin daemon was running, I configured all my profiles in one only to find out that it was not the one that cpanel was hooked up to. In the end, it is best to make sure you only have one installation of urchin. Delete the other one. I ended up putting mine in /usr/local/urchin4.

Now, once you have verified that you have a single installation of urchin and it is licensed and you can access it via the urchin administration screen, you will need to make sure that XController is pointing to the correct location for your urchin install. XController files are in /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/xcontroller. You need to check that two of the symbolic links in this folder are pointed at the correct urchin installation folder. uicons and ujs are both symbolic links to files within your urchin installation. Do a 'ln -s' to see if they are pointing to your working urchin install. If not, then 'rm' and 'ln -s /usr/local/uchin...' Set the user and groups of these two files appropriately using chmod and chgrp.

So now, you should have a working installation of Urchin and XController pointing to it correctly. Any new accounts you make with CPanel should work properly. However, you will need to check the accounts you already have set up to make certain that they are pointing to the correct Urchin install.

Cpanel profiles are stored in /home/{account}/. Urchin profile info is stored in /home/{account}/tmp/urchin/. There are several symbolic links here that may need to be updated to point to the correct urchin installation. Check all of these:
    /home/{account}/tmp/urchin/lib
    /home/{account}/tmp/urchin/bin/urchin
    /home/{account}/tmp/urchin/bin/urchin.cgi
    /home/{account}/tmp/urchin/data/conf
    /home/{account}/tmp/urchin/etc/urchin.conf
    /home/{account}/tmp/urchin/util/uconf-driver
    /home/{account}/tmp/urchin/util/uconf-import
    Make sure you chmod and chgrp to the proper account.

Once I did all of this, I could finally click on the 'Urchin' link in XController and have my reports show up. I am not sure yet what utility copies reports from /usr/local/urchin4/data/reports/{site} to /home/{account}/tmp/urchin/data/reports/{site} yet. You may need to copy these reports from your Urchin installation to your cpanel home to get things going.

I also experienced a problem where trying to run an urchin report with a profile that was automatically created by CPanel did not work. It stays on (none)%. The fix I found for this was to delete the profile and recreate it by modifying a COPY of another profile that is working. It is important to copy the profile rather than just create a new one. Again, I don't know why.

Good luck.

P.S. When doing an install, I recommend doing it as 'root' and with Urchin user 'nobody'. The install tarball needs to be run from a folder where 'nobody' has write access.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: