The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is Default IP chosen for licensing?

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by hostmedic, Nov 29, 2008.

1. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I am using a non-supported (yet) vps system.
    Interestingly enough I am following a thread over there - and it tells me I am not the only one with this issue.

How does cPanel determine the default IP used by the server?
    In short - if multiple IP's are given to a server under the proxmox ve / openvz platform the license just does not work.

:mad::eek:

2. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have always had to use hypervm and set a default address then cPanel would call it our main address when running the /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt if we didn't cPanel would read a different IP. Hard for me to explain it but it is strange. Does proxmox let you define a main ip?

3. stdout

stdout Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I *suspect cpkeyclt gathers the main IP from either /etc/hosts or /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Multiple IPs are added to /etc/ips and are brought up by /etc/init.d/ipaliases, of course being on a VPS, things may work differently. I don't think cpkeyclt (licensing) has anything to do with /etc/ips?

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As the forums are not an official channel for support, these types of issues are better addressed by opening a support ticket.

There are a variety of issues that can complicate how the licensing determines the IP address to use. The values of ADDR and ETHDEV in /etc/wwwacct.conf play a role in this, however other factors may impact this. Opening a support ticket with us allows us to to view the system as a whole to determine what those factors are and resolve the matter.