Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How long do we need to keep log files?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by zodiac9797, Jan 24, 2019.

1. zodiac9797

zodiac9797 Active Member

Is there any regulation or law in the US and EU that specifically regulates this issue?

I know that mobile providers had to keep records (SMS messages and call lists) for a period of a three years, but that seems insane for the hosting providers.

How long do you keep your log files?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @zodiac9797,

I'll leave this thread open for other providers to add feedback, however generally this is a topic you should consult with a lawyer or regulatory advisor about.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    zodiac9797 likes this.
  3. zodiac9797

zodiac9797 Active Member

Thank you @cPanelMichael, I was thinking that there will be other providers who know answer to this question. When someone leave an answer I believe that information will be useful for many of us.

In my country it is very difficult to find this kind of information and there is no use of lawyers since most of them have their own limited area of work which is not connected with internet issues. I believe there is some of them that know the answer to this question but I have no idea how to find them. :(

If someone can point me to some EU institution I will be happy to contact them.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. zodiac9797

zodiac9797 Active Member

Hi @Infopro I've read that earlier when we were working on our GDPR compliance. GDPR only requires transparency, for example if we keep log files we had to state that in our Privacy Policy, but it doesn't declare terms on how long we should keep data.

I was wondering if there is an EU law that says "you have to keep your log files for at least an year"... or something like that. :)
    I am aware that this is a question for a lawyers, but I don't know where to address. :(

Thank you for your help!

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    zodiac9797 likes this.
  7. zodiac9797

zodiac9797 Active Member

@Infopro thank you. I will check EUGDPR portal and write here if I find an answer. :)

Infopro likes this.