How long does it take to convert an addon domain to its own account?

T1531

Feb 20, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
With moving MySQL databases enabled. Is this a relatively quick thing that just changes some references to data or does it take a long time to copy data to a new location? The add-on domain with the database is about 50 GB.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello @T1531,

The database size should not make a difference because the MySQL database itself is not dumped/restored when selecting the "Move" option (as opposed to the "Copy" option) for MySQL databases in WHM >> Convert Addon Domain to Account. The database is simply mapped from the existing cPanel account to the new one.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

Reactions: T1531

T1531

Feb 20, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks for the response. Would the website experience any downtime during this process or is it a quick thing? That was the main reason I asked about the database, but I'm still wondering about the overall time and if I should announce to users ahead of time that the site will be offline. Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello @T1531,

The DNS isn't changing and the services are not stopped during the conversion so downtime should not be an issue.

That said, it's generally a good idea to setup a mock account that matches the setup/configuration of the live account first, perform the action on the mock account, and then confirm what happens. You can define DNS for a mock/example domain in your workstation's hosts file per the instructions in the link below:

Thank you.