The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how long for subdomain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kostya, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Kostya

Kostya Member

how long does it take for a subdomain to apear? i created one, it created a file, but when i go to the subdomain link subdomain.mysite.com it wont load, says "there's no website configured under this adress" is there seomthing i have to do? or wait like 24-48 hours for it to apear?

2. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

Do you mean that you see the CPanel default teal-colored 'no website configured here' page?

If the primary domain name (i.e. the mysite.com part of subdomain.mysite.com) has already resolved, then the response time should be almost instant. If you are getting a 404 error "page cannot be displayed", then your dns zone is probably not correct, but if you are seeing that teal page, then it is working (but not like you expected it too :) ).

If your subdomain is resolving to that teal page, try adding a virtual host entry to httpd.conf to point it to the folder you want. I suppose I should ask if you are the server admin or just have an account on that server?

3. Kostya

Kostya Member

hi, thanks a lot, i get that teal page, i am the admin, my website is www.hardcork.com and the subdomain i'm creating for a friend is christina.hardcork.com, i set up the FTP for her, and everything works, but when i go to subdomain christina.hardcork.com it doesn't work, and truthefully i have no idea what you said lol, can you explain it retard terms? my first domain

this is what it says

There is no website configured at this address.
    You are seeing this page because there is nothing configured for the site you have requested. If you think you are seeing this page in error, please contact the site administrator or datacenter responsible for this site.

4. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

Well, I think that you may be adding this the wrong way. But, to make it work how it is now, add this to httpd.conf (your apache configuration file):
    Code:
    <VirtualHost 69.93.230.98>
    ServerName christina.hardcork.com
    DocumentRoot /home/christina/public_html
    </VirtualHost>

assuming of course, that /home/christina/public_html is where you want her doc root to be.

Although, when I do an account add such as this, I just use the cPanel Web Hosting Manager, select -add account- and input the info. (in your case, the domain name would be christina.hardcork.com) and this makes WHM do all the hard work for you such as making the home directory, ftp account, httpd.conf entries, etc. etc. etc. Or, did you do it this way and still ended up with this error?

Let me know if you need any other assistance, be it here or via email. If you find that you cannot fix this, I can jump in there and take a look. Good luck!

5. Kostya

Kostya Member

i'm completely lost now lol, i can't find account management place any where and i don't know where the httpd.config file is, when i went to a tutorial on how to add domains, they told me to click on "sub-domains" so i did, and typed in all the info and it supposebly created but it doesn't work

6. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

Gotcha, I had this happened to me too when I was testing out cPanel for the first time on a brand new server, minor issue and easy to work around. Correction to my last post, I think you are adding it correctly in this case ;) .

Tell me a little more about your server:

Most importantly do you own the server? Or do you just have a website hosted with northtrex.com? Or is it a dedicated server that you are leasing from them?

If you just have your website hosted with that company, there is a misconfiguration on their part (cPanel isn't setting up the virtual host correctly in the apache httpd.conf for this subdomain), and they will have to correct it. It isn't a DNS issue, and you did you part as an end user correctly from within cPanel. while you are talking to them, have them set up reverse dns for that ip address, it may cause problems later when trying to email certain ISP's. Also, when I connect to your server, it responds with the hostname host1.superwebhosting.net which is not an active domain right now..? But those are other issues that you can worry about later.

If you are leasing a dedicated server, (or if it is your co-located server), and you are responsible for administering the entire system (including whm/cpanel):
    Do you have root access?
    i.e. can you log in to WHM via https://hardcork.com:2087 or http://hardcork.com:2086 or via SSH?
    Are there any other accounts (or domain names) on this server other than hardcork.com?
    If you have this level of access, delete the subdomain you already set up (after saving any files in that directory), log in via one of the whm login ports (the links just above), and find the Account Functions heading in the menu, then, select Add Account, and enter the domain name christina.hardcork.com and the other settings as you desire. This should overcome that config error. If not, email me directly and we can work on this some more.

:)

#6 kaosent, Jul 30, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  7. Kostya

Kostya Member

it's a hosted website, and i can't log in to the link you gave me. i would e-mail you but i don't know your e-mail adress, but what i'm also going to do is contact their help assistant and ask them what the problem might be, maybe they did not authorise me having subdomains even it said in the contract that i could have unlimited, so i'm going to check that out

8. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

Sorry about the email thing, I guess I could have mentioned that if you click on my username it should give you the option to email me.
    Unfortunately, your host is the one responsible for providing support for your account, and there isn't much we can do for you here since your host maintains the system (or at least should be :) ).

I am almost certain that you are authorized to have subdomains, as you were allowed to register one via cPanel (and didn't seem to get an error). The error is that your subdomain is getting directed to the wrong server directory. But, your host should be able to fix this issue (and the others) for you.

I wish you the best, good luck!

9. Kostya

Kostya Member

thanks a lot man