The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How?: Mail accounts on server AND Google Apps

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by peterallcdn, Jun 25, 2010.

1. peterallcdn

peterallcdn Member

Hey all,

This seems like something that must have been discussed before but I could not find it using search.

Essentially, I like to put all my clients' email accounts onto Google Apps Mail. But, because Google Apps Mail has a limit of 500 emails per day, it can't be used for mailing to lists that exceed that number.

So, what I'd like to accomplish is having most email accounts on Google Apps, but still be able to have a functional account on the server for sending/receiving email lists.

Can anyone recommend the proper way to set up a hosting account so that it can have email accounts on Google Apps Mail as well as be able to properly send/receive email from different email accounts on the server?

cPanel 11.25.0-R46156 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9
    CENTOS 5.5 i686 virtuozzo
    Exim

Thank you!
    Peter

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Are you talking about sending emails to a large list of users manually, or using MailMan to manage your lists?

If the latter, it shouldn't matter where you receive your emails (local server or G. Apps).

For that matter, you should be able to setup an account on your server strictly for sending messages. That account doesn't have to be used to receive, and if you configure your email client correctly, (the reply-to: field being the actual account on google) then if they reply to the message, it should go there, rather than the sending account.

I don't think I'm mis-thinking there, but it's been a long day :p

3. peterallcdn

peterallcdn Member

Thanks for the help so far Lyttek,

I'm not using MailMan. I essentially built a user management system and part of it is the ability to send emails to all the users. The emails will be sent using my own script in combination with PHPMailer to handle the actual email sending.

Because many users could be emailed, this would exceed Google Apps 500 limit so I need an account on the server for sending. The more difficult part I guess is that I need that same account to be able to receive so I can parse the bounced emails and update my database with a count of how often each email has bounced. I'm thinking I will probably use PHPMailer's BMH (bounced mail handler) to do the parsing.

I think PHPMailer's BMH can parse mails from Gmail accounts, although I'm not sure how much Gmail will like an account that only receives bounces.

Thanks,
    Peter

4. nxweb

nxweb Active Member

How about a subdomain of your main domain that points to the cPanel server, like "mailer.yourdomain.com"? Then you can set the MX records for the subdomain to point to the cPanel server, and use email addresses like bounce@mailer.yourdomain.com etc.