The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many clients can i put on one server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by apogee, Nov 8, 2004.

1. apogee

apogee Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi,

I’m new on Cpanel and have some questions about it.
    First: how much clients can I put on one server without any problems?

My machine: P4 2.8, 2GB Ram with 3x 200 GB HDD in an raid 5 array.
    I sell 1GB accounts to my customers but the clients only use 20-50MB (average), so I think I can put 1000 clients in one server and than buy the next machine. BUT I don’t know whether my machine have enough power to serve 1000 pages and mailboxes with cpanel.

At the moment I have only 50 clients on my cpanal machine, I also have other machines without cpanel and they hold 500-2000 domains per server without problems (same hardware)

My second question: how many connections can cpanel serve at one time (I mean connections to the controlpanel front end)

Thx for answers

BTW: my cpanel server runs fedora 2

2. cguimont

cguimont Well-Known Member

Everything depends on what applications are runned on your server. It also depends on the site you have. You should not look at that as.. I need to put 1000 clients on it.. you should put it.. and when you see that the server is becoming overloaded... you simplily move some to a new server.

3. lost

lost Well-Known Member

you can have 2000 clients on your server if they all have a static webpage with their name , rank and serial number on it.

If you have real users, people who have scripts running, use databases, etc, it's more like 500.

If these 500 users have 2,3 or more email accounts each and most do, they will then want to run spam assassin, your server will soon become such a mess that you will transfer 250 of these user to a new server. Exim will go nuts, your loads will be high and each cpanel update to fix what's wrong will add to your sorrows.

So the answer to your question is: There is no answer. Go with the flow. If it becomes unbearable and loads prevent your server from operating within your established nerve comfort zone, get a second server.

L