The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many domains on one IP address ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xman888, Oct 9, 2006.

1. xman888

xman888 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I was wndering if anyone has ideas out there as to how many domains you can host on one shared IP address ?

Is it unlimited or should you keep it under a certain number ?

Thanks.

2. elliotcooper

elliotcooper Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

There is no theoretical limit on how many sites you can host on a single IP. I worked for a domin registrar back in the day when all the domains that we registered that were not resolved to a client site were all pointed to a holding page. This was, in effect, a one page site that over 500,000 domains shared on a single IP.

3. xman888

xman888 Well-Known Member

Ok.

The reason I am asking is because I am a reseller, and the company that I resell for said that once you get up to 50, performance drops off a bit.

I was just wonering whether they were just pulling one over me to get me to purchase another account, or if it is actually better to limit the amount of domains per ip address.

Cheers.

4. angelina_holy

angelina_holy Well-Known Member

There is no theoretical limit on how many sites you can host on a single IP . normally the accounts created on whm must be betwen 500 -1000 . if the accounts are increased it might lead to DDos attack as number of connections might be increased

5. COBRAws

COBRAws Member

You need to be very careful when adding multiple customers to one IP and if one of your customers start spamming or something, that IP will be blacklisted and all your other clients on that IP will be blacklisted aswell.