The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Many Sites On Your Web Server?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bmcpanel, Feb 16, 2004.

1. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

This might be an interesting thread. At least to me. I am wondering who has the most accounts on their web server according to WHM (Not including add-on or parked domains). List your server specs too and also, a comment about performance.

I'll get this started....
    Redhat 7.3
    Processor #1 Vendor: GenuineIntel
    Processor #1 Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
    Processor #1 speed: 2000.069 MHz
    Processor #1 cache size: 512 KB
    HD: Single 7200 RPM 80 GB
    Ram: 1 GHZ

Total Sites: 434

Performance: Darned good. Customers claim the server is fast. WHM and Cpanel load quickly on this server.

#1 bmcpanel, Feb 16, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  2. Elikster

Elikster Well-Known Member

Dual Xeon - 2.4 with 4 Gigs of Memory

Got several servers with Dual Xeon with 4 Gigs of memory on it with 3Ware RAID Controller and backup drive. Average number of accounts?

On average, we have around 800 to 1300 accounts on them and it runs fast as usual. No problem there. Plus with extra controls on Exim to keep it from overloading the server beyond 20 load, it works great.

3. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Re: Dual Xeon - 2.4 with 4 Gigs of Memory

I have thousands and thousands and my monthly income is 70K at the moment. :D

4. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Re: Dual Xeon - 2.4 with 4 Gigs of Memory

4 gigs of memory? What for. Cpanel wont use a fraction of any of that not to mention this must be colocated box since i have never in my life seen any NOC offering 4gigs of memory!

5. qbert1987

qbert1987 Well-Known Member

wow this is such an intresting thread, ive got a Celeron 1.7GHz, 80gb ide hdd 512mb of ram currently hosting 5 sites and not expecting more then 500 max.

My question to the people with different servers is, whats importante, ram, backup hdd, cpu speed if your just hosting websites?

whats the avrage size of your sites as well?

I cant imagen that it would use up too much of the cpu or ram, i dont know about the backup drive thow.

6. Elikster

Elikster Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Dual Xeon - 2.4 with 4 Gigs of Memory

That is correct, since one of my clients install their own machines into the rack with dual Xeon with 4 Gigs of memory as standard for all servers they provision. You have to take into the account of the number of accounts, and then add it up to take it against Apache and MySQL memory usage, plus not to mention Tomcat as well.

So..with plenty of reserve memory, it allows the server to perform at peak performance without even touching swap space and for mysql to run efficently. That said, the downtime for the servers are nearly non-existant. Just the only sore sticking point is Exim, which just blowz and it tends to suck up the processes quite a bit due to the fact that it is not multi-threaded application as I like it to be.

7. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You know, the problem with these type threads is that they don't accomplish much. Number of accounts on a Server don't mean much as the purpose and activity of each account is what is important.

Some Servers can run 100's of accounts and not have any problems. Others can run 1 or 2 and be very slow. My own Servers fit into the first catagory and there are Servers I manage that fit into the second catagory. Whenever you have an account, for example, that has a php/mysql Forum and 100's of online Visitors at a time, you know a Dedicated is going to be required for just that one account. ;)

8. mooseontheloose

Re: Re: Dual Xeon - 2.4 with 4 Gigs of Memory

rackshack