The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many sites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Potato, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Potato

Potato Active Member

How many average size sites can I host on a dual xeon 3.4ghz with 8gb ram dedi. Just an estimate

2. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's hard to answer. it depends entirely if the sites are HTML or script based, have databases, which software is running etc etc. Anything from 10-1,000.

For example, we had a customer who had a wordpress plugin that caused a load increase of 20-40% on a dual quad core server ... on just his site! When we got him to disable the plugin, load went back to normal.

3. Potato

Potato Active Member

Would 400 be a safe number?

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

it really all depends. sometimes it takes 24 cPanel servers for one site, especially when it's been advertised on national TV for 3 weeks.

If you are talking regular html based sites from new clients that have new domains, then maybe 400. If you are talking a couple of active forums with a lot of members, you may only get one site on the server. It's not about the space, it's about how expensive the users are in terms of CPU and memory resources. I mean sure, you can phsically use up all your available drive space, that's a no-brainer.

I typically shoot for 100 on a 8 core box with 8GB of ram. Any one site that tips that machine into load issues I recondmend the door OR a dedicated server for themselves. Once you have everyone basically behaving and not using up say more then 10% resources on peaks, I find that 100 work well. But I do that for the "eggs in one basket" idea also to protect my clients and my business. True I do get an average of $15-18 / month for each of those sites, so I can affoard to go with 100 as a round number. I have seen servers with thousands of sites on single machines and they are constantly having problems. So it's a ballancing act. You could have one heavy site and use up an entire servers' resources or you could have 500 that use almost nothing and have no problems at all. all i can say is get used to load management, use graphing tools to spot trends on machines and get used to moving sites from server to server to manage loads.