Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

How many times you restart your service ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by comake, Oct 25, 2006.

1. comake

comake Member

Hello,

I am a beginner with a dedicated server.

Last weekend, Mysql was down and I should restart it to get it work. (Server was never rebooted since one month)

I want to know If you restart your server/services every week or every month with a cron job ?
    And what is the command of the cron to do that (whith cpanel or ssh) ?

For exemple I want to restart Apache and Mysql once time per week?

thank you

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Unless there's a technical problem there should be no need to restart any services or your server at any interval. Usually, the only reason to reboot a server is if you're performing a kernel upgrade.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

No, you don't need to restart services, unless they fail for whatever technical reason(s). The command to restart crond service, for example, is:
    /sbin/service crond restart

A cPanel powered server comes with chkservd application which monitors and restarts services on your server(s). You can enable/disable services to be monitored through the WHM >> Service Configuration >> Service Manager

In addition, the local path to the configuration files for chkservd is /etc/chkserv.d/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...