how many with sig11 error's after 1.3.26 upgrade

gemby

PartnerNOC
Feb 16, 2002
Pula, Croatia
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Still no luck :-(((((

After i enabled Tomcat, (mod_gzip is disabled) it crashed down after 2,5 hours :-((((

Indicator in WHM says that is up and running

It gives out 404s

Error log says:
[Mon Jul 1 11:04:23 2002] [warn] [csd] filedescriptor (1024) larger than FD_SETSIZE (1024) found, you probably need to rebuild Apache with a larger FD_SETSIZE

There is defenetly something wrong with apache.

Nick, what to do?

Brad

Aug 16, 2001
We have same problem, every 10 minutes it is seg faulting..

I'm wondering if it's a Zend Optimizer problem..

The Zend Engine API version 20020429 which is installed, is newer.
Contact Zend Technologies at http://www.zend.com/ for a later version of Zend Optimizer

Then if I run /scripts/installzendopt-php421

This requires php 4.2.1
Press enter to continue or ctrl+c to exit

mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/Zend/lib': File exists
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib': File exists
x - creating lock directory
x - SKIPPING /usr/local/lib/php.ini (file already exists)
x - extracting /usr/local/Zend/lib/ZendOptimizer.so (binary)
You must now restart apache.

Well, it does not work ..

Anyone cure the 10 minute restart problem yet??

itf

May 9, 2002
[quote:2c7832db62][i:2c7832db62]Originally posted by gemby[/i:2c7832db62]

After i enabled Tomcat, (mod_gzip is disabled) it crashed down after 2,5 hours :-((((

It gives out 404s

Error log says:
[Mon Jul 1 11:04:23 2002] [warn] [csd] filedescriptor (1024) larger than FD_SETSIZE (1024) found, you probably need to rebuild Apache with a larger FD_SETSIZE

Nick, what to do?
[/quote:2c7832db62]

Remove mod_asp, mod_perl & Tomcat JSP from your httpd.conf then reinstall buildapache.sea in advanced mode and select these options:

(before installing buildapache.sea run /scripts/fixheaders or reinstall glibc the latest release)

* User bandwidth leech protection
* Bytes logging Module
* Frontpage Module
* Raise HARD_SERVER_LIMIT
* Rewrite Module
* SSL Module
* suEXEC Module

Leave PHP as is

Then you would have a stable Apache with these modules installed
* note mode_gzip requires manual installation but if you have installed it before it's not necessary reinstalling it.

Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
mod_bwprotect
mod_log_bytes
mod_bwlimited
mod_gzip
PHP/4.2.1
FrontPage/5.0.2.2510
mod_ssl/2.8.9
OpenSSL/0.9.6b

We have substantial servers running without any seg fault error.

gemby

PartnerNOC
Feb 16, 2002
Pula, Croatia
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Thanks man, i'll try it that way, but i would need to have Tomcat, i would like to have mod_gzip and mod_python.

I'll try to put it that way, and compile it like you with components like you said, but my server is stable now (without mod_gzip, and Tomcat) If I enable either of this - it blows.

Thanks, ill try to recompile it and try again

itf

May 9, 2002
[quote:be712759ed][i:be712759ed]Originally posted by gemby[/i:be712759ed]

Thanks man, i'll try it that way, but i would need to have Tomcat, i would like to have mod_gzip and mod_python.

I'll try to put it that way, and compile it like you with components like you said, but my server is stable now (without mod_gzip, and Tomcat) If I enable either of this - it blows.

Thanks, ill try to recompile it and try again[/quote:be712759ed]
mode_perl & mod_python & Tomcat JSP will cause instability

mod_gzip could cause instability while you have too many users on your server

If you want to install Tomcat remove mod_gzip

Brad

Aug 16, 2001
Is Curl support compiled into this configuration?

[quote:70f27230db][i:70f27230db]Originally posted by itf[/i:70f27230db]

[quote:70f27230db][i:70f27230db]Originally posted by gemby[/i:70f27230db]

It gives out 404s

Error log says:

Nick, what to do?
[/quote:70f27230db]

Remove mod_asp, mod_perl & Tomcat JSP from your httpd.conf then reinstall buildapache.sea in advanced mode and select these options:

(before installing buildapache.sea run /scripts/fixheaders or reinstall glibc the latest release)

* Bytes logging Module
* Frontpage Module
* Rewrite Module
* SSL Module
* suEXEC Module

Leave PHP as is

* note mode_gzip requires manual installation but if you have installed it before it's not necessary reinstalling it.

Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
mod_bwprotect
mod_log_bytes
mod_bwlimited
mod_gzip
PHP/4.2.1
FrontPage/5.0.2.2510
mod_ssl/2.8.9
OpenSSL/0.9.6b

[/quote:70f27230db]

Brad

Aug 16, 2001
This every 10 minute SIGUSR1 received. Doing graceful restart is messing us up here. I thought it was a mod perl problem but it doesn't look like it.

This is also commented out in our config, is this needed, I did not comment this out?

#LoadModule dav_module libexec/libdav.so

This is what we show

LoadModule rewrite_module libexec/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule bytes_log_module libexec/mod_log_bytes.so
#LoadModule dav_module libexec/libdav.so
LoadModule php4_module libexec/libphp4.so
LoadModule bwlimited_module libexec/mod_bwlimited.so
#LoadModule jk_module libexec/mod_jk.so
#LoadModule perl_module libexec/libperl.so
#LoadModule throttle_module libexec/mod_throttle.so

ClearModuleList
AddModule mod_env.c
AddModule mod_log_config.c
AddModule mod_mime.c
AddModule mod_negotiation.c
AddModule mod_status.c
AddModule mod_include.c
AddModule mod_autoindex.c
AddModule mod_dir.c
AddModule mod_cgi.c
AddModule mod_asis.c
AddModule mod_imap.c
AddModule mod_actions.c
AddModule mod_userdir.c
AddModule mod_alias.c
AddModule mod_rewrite.c
AddModule mod_access.c
AddModule mod_auth.c
AddModule mod_so.c
AddModule mod_setenvif.c
AddModule mod_ssl.c
#AddModule mod_perl.c
AddModule mod_frontpage.c
AddModule mod_log_bytes.c
#AddModule mod_dav.c
AddModule mod_php4.c
AddModule mod_bwlimited.c
#AddModule mod_jk.c
#AddModule mod_throttle.c

We're also seeing this now:

Zend Optimizer requires Zend Engine API version 20010710.
The Zend Engine API version 20020429 which is installed, is newer.
Contact Zend Technologies at http://www.zend.com/ for a later version of Zend Optimizer.

Using the /scripts/installzendopt-php421 or /scripts/installzendopt fails because the files exist already..

mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/Zend/lib': File exists
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib': File exists
x - creating lock directory
x - SKIPPING /usr/local/lib/php.ini (file already exists)
x - extracting /usr/local/Zend/lib/ZendOptimizer.so (binary)
You must now restart apache.

This latest buildapache is buggy as hell

itf

May 9, 2002
[quote:b2c5a7a0c5][i:b2c5a7a0c5]Originally posted by Brad[/i:b2c5a7a0c5]

This every 10 minute SIGUSR1 received. Doing graceful restart is messing us up here. I thought it was a mod perl problem but it doesn't look like it.
[/quote:b2c5a7a0c5]
All of us (Cpanel users) are receiving SIGUSR1 Graceful restart this is not an error, just it restarts apache every 10 minutes you don't lose anything
But unfortunately I haven't had enough time to investigate what is causing this

Brad

Aug 16, 2001
I've seen this in the past related to a mod-perl compile, maybe this is still the cause in the build. It's annoying cause it's filling up the error log.

Still, whats up with the Zend error now? Thats a problem..

Anyone else seeing that?

[quote:a0320e37b0][i:a0320e37b0]Originally posted by itf[/i:a0320e37b0]

[quote:a0320e37b0][i:a0320e37b0]Originally posted by Brad[/i:a0320e37b0]

[/quote:a0320e37b0]
All of us (Cpanel users) are receiving SIGUSR1 Graceful restart this is not an error, just it restarts apache every 10 minutes you don't lose anything
But unfortunately I haven't had enough time to investigate what is causing this
[/quote:a0320e37b0]

feanor

Aug 13, 2001
The zend thang?
If you want that script to generate a brand new php.ini , to make sure zend/php are in sync with a config file that actually matches up.... why not wipe out the current &php.ini&

And then run the script that builds it for php 4.2.1

BE WARY that you will cause some issues with session variables & perhaps cookies if you've jumped from 4.1.2 to 4.2.1, (or even a bigger jump is worse)

I bet..... :p

gemby

PartnerNOC
Feb 16, 2002
Pula, Croatia
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Ok, here is situation: I did just like Brad said, and it works stable. Now, if i enable mod_jk it says (after 2-3 hours) same thing

I have all modules like he have.

If i enable mod_gzip (without mod_jk) says same thing.

It would not be a big problem if that modules was not worked with 1.3.23, but they are working with prior version.

Ok, ill forget all about mod_gzip, but i would like to use mod_jk, can somebody now tell me how to solve this. There IS defenetly something wrong with that version or buildapache.sea.

Mine is not having gracefull server restart problem, but have this one.

Oh yes, i have rh 7.1 version with 2.4.18 kernel, if it helps.

DarkOrb, Please, give us new buildapache.sea, or realy good reason why apache becomes so unstable

itf

May 9, 2002
[quote:19606845ae][i:19606845ae]Originally posted by gemby[/i:19606845ae]

Ok, here is situation: I did just like Brad said, and it works stable. Now, if i enable mod_jk it says (after 2-3 hours) same thing

It would not be a big problem if that modules was not worked with 1.3.23, but they are working with prior version.

Ok, ill forget all about mod_gzip, but i would like to use mod_jk, can somebody now tell me how to solve this. There IS defenetly something wrong with that version or buildapache.sea.

DarkOrb, Please, give us new buildapache.sea, or realy good reason why apache becomes so unstable[/quote:19606845ae]

As I wrote before you can use these settings if you need a stable Apache
But it seems mod_perl , mod_asp & mod_jk have some problems with new Apache 1.3.26 however this new Apache fixed some serious security vulnerabilities then the best choice is removing those modules

[quote:19606845ae][i:19606845ae]Originally posted by itf[/i:19606845ae]

* Bytes logging Module
* Frontpage Module
* Rewrite Module
* SSL Module
* suEXEC Module

Leave PHP as is

Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)
mod_bwprotect
mod_log_bytes
mod_bwlimited
mod_gzip
PHP/4.2.1
FrontPage/5.0.2.2510
mod_ssl/2.8.9
OpenSSL/0.9.6b

[/quote:19606845ae]

DaveUsedToWorkHere

Dec 28, 2001
[quote:70fe392723][i:70fe392723]Originally posted by gemby[/i:70fe392723]

DarkOrb, Please, give us new buildapache.sea, or realy good reason why apache becomes so unstable[/quote:70fe392723]

FD_SETSIZE error means you need to Raise the hard server limit under advanced when building apache. Most problems with apache occur from conflicting modules however. This may not be the case but, for all those who have modules installed that you are not using, like mod_perl. Please remove them, they can only cause problems.

Elena

Aug 10, 2001
California
[quote:1c5b6fe6bc][i:1c5b6fe6bc]Originally posted by Brad[/i:1c5b6fe6bc]
This every 10 minute SIGUSR1 received. Doing graceful restart is messing us up here. I thought it was a mod perl problem but it doesn't look like it.[/quote:1c5b6fe6bc]Hmm.. I was told that this:
[notice] SIGUSR1 received. Doing graceful restart
is happening because...

&that's for the log rotation and stats update, BTW. it gracefully restarts apache that often to update the bytes_log for any domains that have completed the stats update.&

So.. this is happening because of this, right? That &patch& Nick was talking about?
http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=3578

I'm still really bothered about this. I had to completely clean out httpd.conf becuase the error_log was going mad! Thanks to cpanel for all the junk it added in the conf., the error log each time the restart would take place 1034 lines of notice/warnings would get spit out. Not nice, took me about 3 hours just to clean that mess up. :(

Brad

Aug 16, 2001
I too have to do the same thing :-(

[quote:48a2de4ea5][i:48a2de4ea5]Originally posted by Elena[/i:48a2de4ea5]

[quote:48a2de4ea5][i:48a2de4ea5]Originally posted by Brad[/i:48a2de4ea5]
This every 10 minute SIGUSR1 received. Doing graceful restart is messing us up here. I thought it was a mod perl problem but it doesn't look like it.[/quote:48a2de4ea5]Hmm.. I was told that this:
[notice] SIGUSR1 received. Doing graceful restart
is happening because...

&that's for the log rotation and stats update, BTW. it gracefully restarts apache that often to update the bytes_log for any domains that have completed the stats update.&

So.. this is happening because of this, right? That &patch& Nick was talking about?
http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=3578

I'm still really bothered about this. I had to completely clean out httpd.conf becuase the error_log was going mad! Thanks to cpanel for all the junk it added in the conf., the error log each time the restart would take place 1034 lines of notice/warnings would get spit out. Not nice, took me about 3 hours just to clean that mess up. :([/quote:48a2de4ea5]

myros

Dec 16, 2001
Found out my particular problem (apache going down every 10 minutes and not coming back up again till chkservd ran next time) was due to the apache upgrade messing up the PHP install - it looked like it tried to install it twice as I had errors that were referring to many duplicate entries when PHP was loading.

One of the PHP gurus over at Ventures Online went in and fixed it for me and server been running perfectly since.

Might not help with others seeing similar problems but Ive seen 3 people now who had exact same problem due to PHP install being screwed up with buildapache.

Myros

moronhead

Aug 12, 2001
Does the advanced apache install not give you an option if you want PHP re-installed or not?

feanor

Aug 13, 2001
It does give you the option yes-
you can remove the PHP portion of the build completely if you'd like.

(on the mainscreen you can deselect)

moronhead

Aug 12, 2001
[quote:a3fd26e13f][i:a3fd26e13f]Originally posted by feanor[/i:a3fd26e13f]

It does give you the option yes-
you can remove the PHP portion of the build completely if you'd like.

(on the mainscreen you can deselect)
[/quote:a3fd26e13f]
That's good news. If anyone already has a custom version of PHP (i.e. PHP compiled out of Cpanel) then it would be best to deselect the PHP option and upgrade to the newest PHP by downloading the source from www.php.net and using your previous ./configure.